Rinsing my new Avet or dunking it? I'm a little confused.

Started by Breadfan, February 09, 2021, 06:53:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oc1

Quote from: oldmanjoe on February 13, 2021, 12:09:43 AM
;D  Don`t you guy`s watch tv  ...    The bar tender wipes the glass clean with his apron NO washing .
We'll soon change that.

Brewcrafter

Dishwashing detergents used in automatic machines tend to incorporate the use of surfactants, compounds that specifically break down the surface tension of water so that it sheets off or runs off in the rinse cycle for that "spot free shine".  The problem with those compounds is that they are pretty tenacious; the intent is that they stay "bonded" with your dishes during the rinse cycle to encourage the water to run off (and not leave droplets that would then leave spots in the drying cycle).  The problem is that they continue to break down the surface tension of everything else that comes in contact later.  This is something that you can see pretty easy (and I am also not so subtly encouraging everyone to have TWO of their beverage of choice in the name of science - you may thank me now  :D)
Take two glasses for your favorite beer, wine or spirit.  Very thoroughly hand wash, and rinse heavily, then allow to dry ONE of them.  Have the second glass be straight from the dishwasher.
1.  Beer - Pour a beer into each glass.  It helps if it is a "real" beer that actually has some body to it, nothing with the word "Light" in the name  :D.  Most likely you will notice that the head on the beer in the dishwasher glass will quickly fade.  A truly "beer clean" glass will have a residue from the foam in a series of levels starting at the top of the glass and going all the way down, a heavenly phenomena called "beer lacing" that shows the beer level from every sip taken.
2.  Wine or Spirits - If you are into those beverages (I do love me an occasional glass of Port) you may have either done this or seen it done where the liquid will be swirled in the glass.  This has a number of functions, but the one here that I would want folks to observe is visual - if you hold the glass up to the light and look at the way the wine or spirit runs back down the side of the glass after being swirled, it is a phenomenon called "legs" or sometimes "Irish Tears" where because of the surface tension in alcohol (this works better with stronger wines or spirits) the beverage has a very pronounced speed and way that it slides back down the side of the glass.  Since again this is a function of surface tension, any glass that has any of these residues absolutely kills this effect.  Do this with enough different wines or spirits, you will begin to notice differences between different ones.
I have a feeling I am going to be doing a visual demo on the Saturday night Zoom call. - john

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

oc1

Quote from: Brewcrafter on February 13, 2021, 06:07:03 AM
you will notice that the head on the beer in the dishwasher glass will quickly fade. 
OK, I'm sold.

the rockfish ninja

I haven't used water to rinse off a reel in decades. Especially an Avet which is the easiest reel on the planet to open up, clean, & and lube. YMMV
Deadly Sebastes assassin.

SteveL

Why not just finish with a 6 to 8 turn Uni, unwrapping the loop to form pretty much a nail knot.   This is how I finish biminis.

Oops, posted on the wrong thread while reading recent posts.

Gfish

Wow. You never know what you're gonna learn here. Good stuff Brewcrafter. Those surfactants that break down the surface tension godda have residue going into your gut?
Yes, I've always been SOOO concerned about those embarrassing spots  😡.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Mic

Dishwashing detergents used in automatic machines tend to incorporate the use of surfactants, compounds that specifically break down the surface tension of water so that it sheets off or runs off in the rinse cycle for that "spot free shine".  The problem with those compounds is that they are pretty tenacious; the intent is that they stay "bonded" with your dishes during the rinse cycle to encourage the water to run off (and not leave droplets that would then leave spots in the drying cycle).  The problem is that they continue to break down the surface tension of everything else that comes in contact later.  This is something that you can see pretty easy (and I am also not so subtly encouraging everyone to have TWO of their beverage of choice in the name of science - you may thank me now  :D)
Take two glasses for your favorite beer, wine or spirit.  Very thoroughly hand wash, and rinse heavily, then allow to dry ONE of them.  Have the second glass be straight from the dishwasher.
1.  Beer - Pour a beer into each glass.  It helps if it is a "real" beer that actually has some body to it, nothing with the word "Light" in the name  :D.  Most likely you will notice that the head on the beer in the dishwasher glass will quickly fade.  A truly "beer clean" glass will have a residue from the foam in a series of levels starting at the top of the glass and going all the way down, a heavenly phenomena called "beer lacing" that shows the beer level from every sip taken.
2.  Wine or Spirits - If you are into those beverages (I do love me an occasional glass of Port) you may have either done this or seen it done where the liquid will be swirled in the glass.  This has a number of functions, but the one here that I would want folks to observe is visual - if you hold the glass up to the light and look at the way the wine or spirit runs back down the side of the glass after being swirled, it is a phenomenon called "legs" or sometimes "Irish Tears" where because of the surface tension in alcohol (this works better with stronger wines or spirits) the beverage has a very pronounced speed and way that it slides back down the side of the glass.  Since again this is a function of surface tension, any glass that has any of these residues absolutely kills this effect.  Do this with enough different wines or spirits, you will begin to notice differences between different ones.
I have a feeling I am going to be doing a visual demo on the Saturday night Zoom call. - john

Okay,
So I got a little lost. Shouldn't be a big surprise really. I like good beer. Real beer. Shiner Bock from Shiner Tx is my first choice. I don't know if they still offer the guided tour through the plant, but I have heard that it was a great tour !

When fishing salt water, I'll spray my reels down before I go. Just a little spray of Kroil oil and wipe it off. I'm sure there are a lot of things out there for that purpose.

When I come back, I'll soak my reels in fresh water for about a week in a 5 gallon bucket. Just setting in the sun. Just walking by, I'll give them a vigorous shake or thrashing in the fresh water.

After that, light spray of Kroil if I think it needs it ?

Anyway,
So, was this a vote against the salt away chemical(s) ?

Mic

Gobi King

Quote from: Mic on February 15, 2021, 04:21:37 PM

Okay,
So I got a little lost. Shouldn't be a big surprise really. I like good beer. Real beer. Shiner Bock from Shiner Tx is my first choice. I don't know if they still offer the guided tour through the plant, but I have heard that it was a great tour !

When fishing salt water, I'll spray my reels down before I go. Just a little spray of Kroil oil and wipe it off. I'm sure there are a lot of things out there for that purpose.

When I come back, I'll soak my reels in fresh water for about a week in a 5 gallon bucket. Just setting in the sun. Just walking by, I'll give them a vigorous shake or thrashing in the fresh water.

Anyway,

Mic

Let me see if I have this, use a good beer to rinse your reel, do I need to dunk it first in beer? ;D

I have seen some new reels with lot of holes for the water to run off and some with seals to keep the water out.

Does it matter which type of reel you have to either dunk/rinse?
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Breadfan

Quote from: Gobi King on February 15, 2021, 05:22:14 PM

Okay,

Anyway,

Mic

Let me see if I have this, use a good beer to rinse your reel, do I need to dunk it first in beer? ;D

I have seen some new reels with lot of holes for the water to run off and some with seals to keep the water out.

Does it matter which type of reel you have to either dunk/rinse?

No, no, no. I think what he's sayin is rinse your bearings in beer, let dry naturally and just skip the oil.

Breadfan

Ok, seriously. I have ceramic balls and metal races, I use REM oil on them. REM oil is for guns, is very thin and I thought what the heck. It normally makes my bearings in my old Dawia's so fast, takes on a whole new learning curve. So I guess I should probably just stop being cheap since I spent all of this money on this reel and bearings and get the proper oil.

oc1

Quote from: Breadfan on February 15, 2021, 06:05:01 PM
Ok, seriously. I have ceramic balls and metal races, I use REM oil on them. REM oil is for guns, is very thin and I thought what the heck. It normally makes my bearings in my old Dawia's so fast, takes on a whole new learning curve. So I guess I should probably just stop being cheap since I spent all of this money on this reel and bearings and get the proper oil.
I don't know anything about REM oil, but what makes you think it is undesirable?  Also, why apply oil the outside but not the inside?  Hybrid bearings are better than all stainless, but full ceramic are better than hybrid.  Full ceramic are better when run dry, but they are noisy.  

I like good beer. Real beer. Shiner Bock from Shiner Tx is my first choice. I don't know if they still offer the guided tour through the plant, but I have heard that it was a great tour !
When I was in parochial Catholic school we went on a field trip to San Antonia to see missions and stuff.  The highlight was a tour of the Lone Start brewery and it's Buckhorn Saloon and Museum.  Memorable for sure.

Brewcrafter

oc1

Irish Catholics have their priorities straight.

oldmanjoe

Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare