A General Question.....Really !

Started by Mic, February 16, 2021, 04:25:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mic

Okay,
So, I'm from Central Tx, and I kinda caught a bug some years back when I went to beautiful  San Diego, Ca to go yellowfin tuna fishing with family. Absolutely enjoyed myself. Beautiful town, people and great fishing. Now, I've since learned that yellowfin tuna can be caught in our sweet little jewel, Gulf of Mexico. Now, in reading post on different subject matters, I've read a lot concerning yellowfin tuna.
Now, we were catching YT in the 25-30 pound range. I thought we were badass! From what I've read, those were children, so to speak ? WOW, 300 pound YT ! That would be amazing. Not really looking to catch the next world record.

Now, where my education is lacking, I'm needing thoughts from those of you who traditionally chase YT's to smooth down my high spots and plumb up what needs to be leveled. I'm thinking a YT reel would need 30 pounds of drag and capable of holding 350 yards of 100#+ braided line or 80# mono ?

Ratio would need to be as close to 6:1 as you can get, so a two speed system "should" be what I "should" be looking for. Maybe ?

Now again, just sticking with things I know and understand, I'm thinking a rod should be at least something like a Heavy Musky rod at least 8.5 - 9' or better 10 - 12 oz. weight ?

Now, I've read where some can fish YT from the shore. That's not gonna happen here. We have to drive out most days a mile or so just to hit blue water. I don't know if YT's venture into muddy water 2-3' deep ?

What would you recommend or you use to hunt YT's ? Remember, I tend to over think things....

Thanks for any advice you can offer

Mic

thorhammer

To clarify, you want to catch YFT off Texas Gulf? You may be catching 30 pounders there, but there are some 150 pounders at the La rigs. You don't need 30 pounds of drag for 30 lb fish, or a two speed. A 4/0 Senator will catch those all day with 80 lb braid and 60lb  topshot, with plenty left for a bigger one. Shimano TLD 20 or 25, Avet LX, Penn Squall / Fathom are all reasonably priced lever drag reels. No need for a 600 dollar reel for that size fish. These are also available in two speed iterations.

Mic

Quote from: thorhammer on February 16, 2021, 04:49:02 PM
To clarify, you want to catch YFT off Texas Gulf? You may be catching 30 pounders there, but there are some 150 pounders at the La rigs. You don't need 30 pounds of drag for 30 lb fish, or a two speed. A 4/0 Senator will catch those all day with 80 lb braid and 60lb  topshot, with plenty left for a bigger one. Shimano TLD 20 or 25, Avet LX, Penn Squall / Fathom are all reasonably priced lever drag reels. No need for a 600 dollar reel for that size fish. These are also available in two speed iterations.

BAMMMMMMMM

That's what I'm looking for !

Honest, to the point and no bullsh*t

What kinda rod would you match it to ?

pjstevko

Look at the Penn Fathom 40NLD2.....It'll handle fish to over a 100# easy plus whatever big amberjacks, grouper and snapper you find....

Look at the PCH rods to pair it with....

That'll make a killer multi-use combo for under $500

Mic

Quote from: pjstevko on February 16, 2021, 05:55:52 PM
Look at the Penn Fathom 40NLD2.....It'll handle fish to over a 100# easy plus whatever big amberjacks, grouper and snapper you find....

Look at the PCH rods to pair it with....

That'll make a killer multi-use combo for under $500

EXCELENT Advice !

Putting together some notes now!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks

alantani

it's your choice to fish 80, 100 or 130 pound line class for big fish.  

80 pound line class - for the rod, i would recommend either the united composites centaur or the seeker osp 1x3.  for the reel, it would be the penn visx 16 or the okuma makaira 16, loaded with 400 yards of 100 pound hollow core braid and a 25 yard topshot of 80 pound fluoro. the drag on the reel would be set to 25 pounds at strike, giving you a corresponding 40 pounds at full.

100 pound line class - for the rod, it would be either the united composites viper or the seeker osp 2x4.  for the reel, the penn vixs 20 or the okuma makaira 20 with 600 yards of 100 pound hollow core braid and a 25 yard topshot of 100 pound fluoro, drag set to 30 pounds at strike, giving you a corresponding 50 pounds at full.

130 pound line class - for the rod, it would be either the united composites viper or the seeker osp 3x.  for the reel, the penn vixs 50 or the okuma makaira 50 with 700 yards of 130 pound hollow core braid and a 25 yard topshot of 130 pound fluoro, drag set to 40 pounds at strike, giving you a corresponding 65 pounds at full.

and remember that for big fish, friends don't let friends fish with 80.....   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

pjstevko

I think we need you to clarify what size fish you are targeting  ???

Are you asking for gear to catch the usual size 20-50# yft in the Gulf or are you targeting the 150-300# giants?

Mic

Quote from: alantani on February 16, 2021, 06:40:37 PM
it's your choice to fish 80, 100 or 130 pound line class for big fish.  

80 pound line class - for the rod, i would recommend either the united composites centaur or the seeker osp 1x3.  for the reel, it would be the penn visx 16 or the okuma makaira 16, loaded with 400 yards of 100 pound hollow core braid and a 25 yard topshot of 80 pound fluoro. the drag on the reel would be set to 25 pounds at strike, giving you a corresponding 40 pounds at full.

100 pound line class - for the rod, it would be either the united composites viper or the seeker osp 2x4.  for the reel, the penn vixs 20 or the okuma makaira 20 with 600 yards of 100 pound hollow core braid and a 25 yard topshot of 100 pound fluoro, drag set to 30 pounds at strike, giving you a corresponding 50 pounds at full.

130 pound line class - for the rod, it would be either the united composites viper or the seeker osp 3x.  for the reel, the penn vixs 50 or the okuma makaira 50 with 700 yards of 130 pound hollow core braid and a 25 yard topshot of 130 pound fluoro, drag set to 40 pounds at strike, giving you a corresponding 65 pounds at full.

and remember that for big fish, friends don't let friends fish with 80.....   ;D

....remember that for big fish, friends don't let friends fish with 80.....

Point taken Boss. Just hope I can find a better class of friends!!!

This is getting interesting as all get out. Rod strength and backbone seem to be as varied as the reels. I understand a preference to tried and true, but I thought I noticed bigger increases with reel sizes than rod sizes. Does that have to do with the line weight or maybe the reel seat ? Or maybe it's been proven to work ?

Mic

Quote from: pjstevko on February 16, 2021, 06:44:24 PM
I think we need you to clarify what size fish you are targeting  ???

Are you asking for gear to catch the usual size 20-50# yft in the Gulf or are you targeting the 15-300# giants?

Really,
I thought of those yft as a fun fish at just going at them. Targeting something you can't see is like shooting craps behind the gas station. Step up, pay your money and take your chance.

I would love to just target fish in the 100# range. I'd jump in on the challenge of a 300# fish on the same rig though

alantani

Quote from: Mic on February 16, 2021, 08:09:21 PM

I would love to just target fish in the 100# range. I'd jump in on the challenge of a 300# fish on the same rig though

the choice of rods is all about flex.  and mic, for big fish go to puerto vallarta!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Mic

Quote from: alantani on February 16, 2021, 08:25:47 PM

the choice of rods is all about flex.  and mic, for big fish go to puerto vallarta!

...... go to puerto vallarta!......

Is that anywhere near Port O'Conner ?

;D

Mic

Quote from: Mic on February 16, 2021, 08:31:14 PM

;D

Just looked up Puerto Vallarta on Google Earth

Think I better get re-unmarried before I make that trip !!!!!!!!!!

Wompus Cat

;D

Depends on whether you are in a Caesna  150 or a GULFSTREAM-IV

I luv Port-O'connor and Seadrift!!
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Mic

Quote from: Wompus Cat on February 16, 2021, 08:37:21 PM

;D

Depends on whether you are in a Caesna  150 or a GULFSTREAM-IV

I luv Port-O'connor and Seadrift!!

Me 2 !

Port O'Conner is probably the one place in Texas you couldn't get to by accident ! You have to be going there

I was looking at the Goggle Earth and asked for directions to Puerto Vallarta. It said "Fly" !

It looks like a beautiful place. One thing it ain't is close !

Brewcrafter

Maybe a quick pow wow as well with reputable local charter operations?  Most all have "boat tackle" and "recommended to bring" and they will most likely be totally up on current trends, including terminal tackle (hot troller lures, etc).  I did glance at the Texas State Records and was pretty blown away that yes, there are (or were) some MONSTER tuna there.  But those records were for the most part caught in the last century, so maybe currently investing in/going packed for "giants" might not be the best "bang for the buck".  It's always nice to have that beefy rig (and I listened to The Boss and have a UC Viper/VISX20 combo - really nice!) but to be honest it sees more time in the rack on my San Diego trips as opposed to my Torque 25NLD2 or Avet JX6/3, which paired with UC Centaur would make a nice "50-100" rig even though you are fishing at the upper end of those reels. - john