coho using 9'6" Black Hole Suzuki Ultra Light rod in Alaska

Started by ksong, February 25, 2021, 01:28:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ksong

8; , 8'6", 9' and 9'6" Black Hole Suzuki Ultra Light rods will be here soon.       

David Hall

Bryan Young

That looks like major fun!!!  Nice how the rod just absorbed all of the shakes.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Hardy Boy

Took care of that coho in no time. They are not the hardest fighters but are fun on light gear and that looked like fun. I'm glad that you did not call them silvers !!  ;D

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

ksong

Rivverrat

ksong,  what rod for for fishing the upper limits of 30 lb. line ?  So you know upfront I will be comparing, doing a review as compared to a UC blank. This  " WILL NOT "  be a one rod vs another. Only wishing to let others know the unique differences between them.
No one needs to tell me Black Hole rods are great. Because I know this. My thoughts are, there is room for both according to individual taste... Jeff

ksong

20 lb rod or 30 lb rod is West Coast thing.
West Coast anglers like durable rods though it is heavy and bulky.
The concept is different. Black Hole USA rods are designed to be light and thin influenced by the rod building concept in Japan and Korea.
They don't touch any rods if it is bulky or heavy even for targeting big fish.
Our Tai special blank weighs 1.4 oz and complete rod weighs 3.8 oz.  The line rating is 10 lb - 20 lb, but we landed tuna or big grouper using 80 lb line.
No comparison between UC rods and Black Hole USA rods.

Rivverrat

ksong, I don't consider a difference in weight of .8 between different make rods of the same line class to be a big enough difference to matter.

My desire is not to show which is better simply because this is not possible if one is honest. But rather the difference between the two. So all can make their own educated decision.

What you state is true. Why not let others that don't know this see the differences while educating them & letting them make the best choice of rod for themselves.

Many here dont have a West Coast mind set or any other bias.  They just wish for the best tool for them to catch fish.  Other wise people are left guessing while spending big dollars on rods.

You say they are different why not let all see this in an honest way ? Other wise no one knows beyond what is stated.

I'm honest & fair minded I have no axe to grind.

My belief is every one is a better off in the end... Jeff

Rivverrat

I very simply wish to meet or talk with you & come to an agreement regarding this with respect. So all can see both are great rods & have a purpose.  At the same time being different.

All can benefit from this if done in a respectful way... Jeff

ksong

When I guided Korean fishing TV crew about 12 years ago, They brought light inshore popping rods to catch big bluefin over 200 lb. I thought there is no way to catch big bluefin with such light rods. But they landed 170 lb bluefin with the rod.  So I asked many questions and I became distributor of Black Hole rods.  
My purpose then was to introduce quality tackle to other anglers.
Black Hole USA rods were born. Nobody knew about Black Hole rods then.  We developed Black Hole jigging rods and popping rods first and extended to inshore rods and surf rods.
Whoever use our Black Hole USA rods recognize exceptional strength and light weight.

Seeker rods, Calstar rods or UC rods are very popular and will be popular forever in West Coast.
We are geared to customers who like light and strong rods.
It is not which one is better. Different audience for different need.

Here is vedeo of fighting 63 lb yellowtail by a lady angler using light jigging rod.
You know what kind of rod they use for 63 lb yellowtail here.

MarkT

I think we need a bigger net! 

I don't know what kind of rod they use for 63# YT on the west coast 'cuz I've never seen a 63# YT!  I did get a 45#er fishing with 50# line on an Avet HX Raptor/Seeker G6465H combo.  We were fishing with mackerel for bait on an 8/0 hook at Cedros Is.  I fished dropper loop for 30-40#+ YT at the Alijos Rocks last year using 80# on a Makaira 16 SEa/UC Centaur 76.  You'd have no chance on the little jigging rod.  My BH CB S-801H with a TwinPower 14k was along for throwing poppers but of no use fishing deep in the dark.  I should get the conventional version of the 801H too since the spinner is so much fun!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Benni3

For freshwater the 10ft Suzuki was a gamechanger,,,,,,, :o as fun as a fly rod but if you hook a big one no problem,,,,, ;) love it,,,,,,,, ;D

ksong

I used light Black Hole Cape Cod Special Slow Pitch rod with 40 lb Jerry Brown Hollow braid when I fished yellowtail in Cedros Island. And I also used Black Hole Cape Cod Special slow Pitch Jigging rod with 60 lb Jerry Brown Hollow braid when I fished big yellowtail in Guadalupe Island. I never use heavy duty rods for yellowtail like most anglers do. I am exception, but I think many will follow what I do in the future.

ksong

Quote from: Benni3 on February 26, 2021, 03:26:20 PM
For freshwater the 10ft Suzuki was a gamechanger,,,,,,, :o as fun as a fly rod but if you hook a big one no problem,,,,, ;) love it,,,,,,,, ;D
As far as I know, you are the only angler who uses the 10' Suzuki rod for freshwater trout. :)

Benni3

Quote from: ksong on February 26, 2021, 10:07:55 PM
Quote from: Benni3 on February 26, 2021, 03:26:20 PM
As far as I know, you are the only angler who uses the 10' Suzuki rod for freshwater trout. :)
It was the lightest 10ft rod I could find 7.9oz and pflueger patriarch 35 14lb drag 7.2oz=15.1oz,,,,,,, ;) the ultra light might be better,,,, :D but when you hook a fish of a lifetime you got to be ready no excuses,,,,,,,, ;D