Tiny guides for a spinning rod

Started by JasonGotaProblem, February 25, 2021, 09:04:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonGotaProblem

I bought a Fuji guide set, turns out it was a 'micro' set. and Ifailed to remember that the size is outside diameter. So I figured a size 4 guide was likely only a bit smaller than a size 5, but it's way smaller. These things are tiny! I don't know enough to know of this is an issue, or if small guides like this are just fine. I'm gonna be running 10# braid on a 7' rod. Is this gonna screw with throwing long casts? Again I don't know enough to know if its an issue.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

philaroman

what's gonna pass through those guides?
just skinny braid -- no prob.
joint knot -- which one?  how neat?  what diameter mono/flouro?

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: philaroman on February 25, 2021, 09:34:31 PM
what's gonna pass through those guides?
just skinny braid -- no prob.
joint knot -- which one?  how neat?  what diameter mono/flouro?
If a knot passes through there, i either reeled to far and got the leader or i lost the fight and got to mono backing. I'll need a different tip though, the one I have sits way out past them.

steelfish

I hate micro guides specially if they are advertized like that.. thats all I can say  ;D ;D

I dont care if the braid is 10# and super thin but I hate to have problems to get my line to cross through those tiny eyes eveytime I prepare the gear to fish, problems of getting old, even a normal size 6 guide eye is cataloged as too small in my books, I take all those 6 size guides and smaller guides out from any of my rods and install 8 size or 10 size guides instead.

The Baja Guy

philaroman

what's this 7' nonsense, anyway?  ...thought you were going for 9-12'

BTW, just noticed a price-friendly Shimano w/ Fuji & interesting specs:
Lure Matic 9' ML 4-15# 3/16-1 oz.
guessing, bendy enough to protect 4# & throw <1/4 oz.,
AND slightly beefier butt & tip to throw 1oz w/ heavier line,
...might be good for Light S/W

Swami805

They'll be fine if there's no knot going thru them.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Jeri

From the look of the set, you have purchased a set of guides for a KR set up, and the theory is that by the time the line gets as far as the micro guides, the line is running dead straight, so no coils or spiral action. We build a 12'light surf rod for launching 3oz sinkers and bait, and we happily use size 6 guides of a similar profile with 35lb braid and a 50lb braid leader, and the knot just whistles through those guides without noise or hesitancy.

So, for an ultra light rod with just 10lb braid, there will be no issues at all. Just build it!!!

Mistakes now in these  first projects, should be regarded as 'school fees', just part of the learning cycle. paid with pleasure, for the benefit of learning.

oldmanjoe

I don`t see a problem with the small guides , but i will use a ring tip of # 8 or 10 , it makes it easier for the knot to make the turn .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

JasonGotaProblem

I went with the 7 footer for the sake of having a rough first go at it with something cheap. I bought this no name unmarked blank for $30 on sale. But I went with the Fuji alconites (also on sale) and the fuji reel seat in case I get it right. I really want that black hole surf blank next. I think I'm about $80 into this total. Less if you dont count the glue and thread that can be used for multiple builds.

And the lurematic looks like a great rod. But I'd like it better with cork. I love my teramar. It looks like an upgrade on that.

Also speaking of guides Hows this look for alignment? That first guide feels a bit low. But I'm getting there. I really love this silicone tape stuff. Stops up leaky coolant lines under the hood, and holds the guides on pretty well for playing around. Only sticks to itself, no residue. I might be able to throw a test cast or two with it on. I have 6 of those tiny fellas to go up at the top but i think im only gonna use 5. Keep one for when one eventually goes bye bye.

dlrider

I am definitely not a rod building expert, so for what that is worth...   the placement looks good to me, including the first guide.  I think it lines up well with the size of reel and should funnel the line cone quickly in addition to the 2nd guide.

How does the rod react with it under load with line, as in fish-fighting load?  For a 7' I personally would prefer the extra guide.  Perhaps the spacing can be nudged a bit starting with #2 so to make room for the 6th guide if needed.

Jeri

If you plan on doing test casts with the taped guides, then an alternative strategy for placement of the guides, might be to have the centre of each guide line up with the table edge - this will push the first guide up the rod considerably. Tape and test both options, and then remove the silicone tape, and thoroughly clean all the blank with acetone or something similar - 2 part finish resins do not like anything to do with silicone, they just won't set!

Swami805

X2 on what Jeri said about silicon , if you don't get it off completely you'll get fish eyes. A lot of brands of embroidery thread have silicon in them too, stick with rod wrapping thread.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

steelfish

good catch on the silicon Tape by Jeri, finish resins dont mix with any kind of oil, grease, silicon, etc.

you need to clean the blank with DNA (I try to avoid acetone ) really good before and after wrapping the guides and specially before to put the epoxy, clean your hands always when working on your rod or when touching any of the tools.
The Baja Guy

oldmanjoe

;D   Number 4 micro guide is very small , very hard to pick up with your fat fingers .    Going to be hard to learn how to wrap one , when you are a beginner or even if you have done a few wraps                I found 3 u tube videos on how to tie micro guides , each one is a little different  .   What is your path of least frustration ?

Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

JasonGotaProblem

Without having watched the videos (I'm still at work but i will when i get home) the plan that I'd try first would be to hold it in place with a bread bag twist-tie until I can get a few wraps on it.

I also considered just wrapping the blank but not super tight, and sliding the mini guide in place after the fact. That might be a non-starter but dang it I considered it.

I also considered soaking the starting end of the wrap in a tiny bit of adhesive to help.

I also considered ignoring the normal approach of not firmly affixing the guides until they're wrapped, and super gluing the tiny ones in place, taking time to get them perfectly straight (or using a bamboo skewer to help that straightness) and then wrapping after.

It may well be that all those ideas are terrible. But at least I have a few ideas to consider. I look forward to getting new ideas from the video.