Alberto and Albright, please rise.

Started by gstours, February 26, 2021, 05:05:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

Tanks,  the diagram shown is not the knot.   Below is a replica of the yellow line ☝️ one.
   Doubled line and swivel held.
Then raps.up to swivel tote and back down.

gstours

Upper and lower part shown.

gstours

As always moisten the line and work the ends slowly.   Finally pulling very hard.   
   I have not ever seen anyone else ever use this knot.  Nor know if it has a name,  butt somebody here has...... 
  It may also have something in common with the Alberto  knot.    Maybe upside down ?

gstours

Another reason I don't do this teaching stuff is I forgot to mention with braid sometimes more is better.  As I usually use 20 turns up and fifteen back if you leave your self enough to work with.
  Thanks.   Any criticism of course is welcome 🙏....
And now back to a variation of the Alberto knot.     It's a work in progress,  and uses the bobbin and spiral under wraps and the RP bobbin over wraps then ticks in the usual Albright mono loop after adding 4 turns with the tag end.   Sounds like a good lockdown project? ???

gstours

Now back to the earlier question of Dominic.  I can only think 🤔 when you mention half hitches it was on tying the FG knot.   Thanks Wayne for your pictures.   This goes back a ways .🧐
  The Albrite and FG were the only knots I knew at that time.   Both of these are good knots and will be around as long as we can go fishing.

gstours

This spiral wrap hybrid Alberto shows promise and needs some actual field testing.🎣
   It also uses some half hitches as shown.   These hitches seem to make the looped end softer.
       It seems also that if more than about 4 raps are used in the risotto finish they slide down eventually at least for me.🐟

pjstevko

I think you did way too many wraps....I've used the Alberto knot for years and was taught how to tie it from the the man himself....I go 5-7 wraps each way and never had an issue....This is the knot i used last year to tie 65# braid to 50# flouro and it hld tight on a 110# bft after a 2 hour fight.... 

gstours

Thanks mr. P.   I'll try some and test home.  It's a simple one that I might be able to do.?☺️
   Below is another actual shop test.  45# held for 2 minutes.   Here's the picture.   Tag of loop starting to walk.    I don't know if this would cost me a fish 🐟?   Constant strain may change the knot?
    Butt it makes a quite ride back home.......   as many of you know......🤞

jurelometer

Found the video.   This is the tying method works for me

John Collins ties with only five wraps.   More is not always better.

The alberto (AKA RP/improved albright) is the knot on the bottom.  It is nice and small. and passes through the guides easily.   If you can force yourself, test some out with 5- 7 wraps and no locking half hitches :)

-J

gstours

OK.  thanks, i got it.    by using your pocket translator book,  is this the earlier discussed Albright?  or another variation.

jurelometer

Quote from: gstours on March 02, 2021, 03:14:25 PM
OK.  thanks, i got it.    by using your pocket translator book,  is this the earlier discussed Albright?  or another variation.

I like how he had us watch him clean the lint  off of the background fabric for the first 30 seconds.  :D

He is tying an Albright with some locking half hitches.  He is also bringing the tag through the "wrong" side of bend after finishing the wraps.  Don't know if this is intentional or not.

On side note,  I have seen two different versions of the improved or modified Albright.  One is the same as the Alberto/RP (up and down wraps),  the other is the same as the Albright (down wraps only) but has the last 6 or so wraps go only around one leg of the mono.

I don't  see how  locking wraps in the braid would help with any of these knots.

The reason for not using too many wraps on the braid to mono  Alberto is to give it an opportunity to deform the mono a bit to get some grip.  The more wraps you add, the greater the chance that you will either spread the load too much and none of the wraps will embed enough into the mono, or that only the bottom wraps will embed, leaving the top wraps with a bit of slack that will work the knot loose if it is jerked frequently ( but may not show  on a steady pull test).

There will be a right  number of wraps that might change a bit for the lines used, or your personal tightening ability.  Looks like most folks are sticking between five and ten on the Alberto.

Looking forward to your  next test result.  I like your  long-time  steady pull test idea, and brought it up at the weekly Zoom.

It would be fun to set up a Rube Goldberg machine  that does a series of  jerk tests.   I think you are just the guy to come up with something  :)

-J

Dominick

Didn't you guys hear the disclaimer at the beginning of the video.  It said "do not try this at home, and results may vary."   :D  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

gstours

Tanks Dom,  your service may be needed in explaining to The court.  ;).  He didn't mean to hurt anyone.  :(
   But I'm glad to improve my stuff in fishing, with all of everybody helping.   
       There's a lot of knots and decisions to make before you leave home 🏠. 
Thanks to all.   

Dominick

Quote from: gstours on March 03, 2021, 08:25:45 PM
Tanks Dom,  your service may be needed in explaining to The court.  ;).  He didn't mean to hurt anyone.  :(
   But I'm glad to improve my stuff in fishing, with all of everybody helping.   
       There's a lot of knots and decisions to make before you leave home 🏠. 
Thanks to all.   

You tied a pretty good knot with Mary Jo.   :)  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

gstours

Thanks for agreeing how lucky 🍀 I am.    Mary jo keeps me in line, for sure I'd be dead 💀 before now.
   But just like knots you got to get it right,  or get lucky 🍀?
      Butt now back to the art, and science of knots.......
The Alberto is a good knot and has merit for my desire to find some fresh fish to eat.    Below is some recent testing and all these broke before my knots tied in a chain with other "many twists " knots.
  More on this soon.   Remember I,m just trying to learn and keep your minds busy until you can go fishing as we did hopefully again.......? ???