Main Menu

Hello from VA

Started by Jaybr, March 01, 2021, 07:07:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaybr

New to the forum, great information here.  I haven't fished in 5 years since selling my last boat, but recently moved to the water and have a new boat on the way.  I've been going through all of my old gear servicing the reels, as well as putting together a spread for offshore.  I have a lot of reels to service so I'll be reading a lot and I'm sure will have questions.

In my older stuff I have:
Okuma V-systems spinning - the larger ones have a lot bubbled paint but smaller ones are fine.  Planning to throw the bubbled ones in storage as backups after I service and clean all the bubbled paint off
Shimano Tyrnos 10's and 12's - used these for trolling stripers, need to service
Abu Revo Toro 50's and 60's - have gone through these and they're working great
Release SG's - just dropped them at Seigler for service since they're right down the street.

Old but new to me:
3 Penn International II 50 SW - Buddy had them and never used them since he doesn't have an inshore boat, they look great on cosmetically but haven't opened yet

New stuff I've been collecting for a few months in preparation:
Avet EX 30w's and 50w's - for offshore trolling, haven't opened them since they're new, should I?
Shimano Saragosa 5000's and 8000's - will use for casting to cobia, mahi, etc.  Haven't opened them
Siegler SGN's - will use for jigging flounder, general bottom fishing duties

As you can see, I have a lot of reel maintenance ahead of me to get ready for fishing season.

Benni3

Welcome from salem Virginia,,,,,, ;D

Brewcrafter

Welcome Jay from the SoCal Inland Empire!  You are in the right place!  And I will answer your one question right now - if you have the opportunity DEFINITELY pop open those new reels, you will find a lot of posts on the forum about the benefits of "preserviceing".  The truth is that when those new reels were put together, no matter how well, they were cranking out "units/hour" and by opening them and taking your time, you can certainly extend their service life and avoid potential issues.  Some of the best folks in the world are here to help. - john

ReelFishingProblems

Welcome from Arlington, VA

theswimmer

Welcome home .
+1 on the pre service deal...
Best,
Jonathan
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

philaroman

Quote from: Jaybr on March 01, 2021, 07:07:54 AM
In my older stuff I have:
Okuma V-systems spinning - the larger ones have a lot bubbled paint but smaller ones are fine.  Planning to throw the bubbled ones in storage as backups after I service and clean all the bubbled paint off

careful w/ those older Okumas:
make sure you note EXACTLY how the EOS & main gear line up, before you separate them
otherwise, it's trial-and-error Hell if manufacturer's marks are a bit off or missing

Jaybr

careful w/ those older Okumas:
make sure you note EXACTLY how the EOS & main gear line up, before you separate them
otherwise, it's trial-and-error Hell if manufacturer's marks are a bit off or missing

Thanks, I noticed that.  The one that I have had apart had very clear red dots on both gears for alignment, and that part was not a problem.  The rod that runs into the hole of the frame and is held in place by the side plate was a pain to get back in properly.

I was actually impressed with this one, it's 10 years old and never been opened and still had plenty of lubrication and zero corrosion, at least on the inside.

alantani

once you get the reels serviced, check to see what kind of drag ranges you get.  don't spool them up until then.  you may find that the drag ranges are not quite as high as you thought they might be.  for the lever drag reels in particular, look for belleville stacks in the "()()" configuration.  this configuration is pretty soft and limits your drag range.  a quick switch to a "(())" configuration can usually bump up the drag range to something more reasonable.  welcome and good luck!!!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Donnyboat

Hi Jay, nice to hear your servicing your own reels, welcome from Sunny Western Australia, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Tiddlerbasher

Hi and welcome :) - Chris from the UK

Jaybr

Quote from: alantani on March 01, 2021, 03:59:51 PM
once you get the reels serviced, check to see what kind of drag ranges you get.  don't spool them up until then.  you may find that the drag ranges are not quite as high as you thought they might be.  for the lever drag reels in particular, look for belleville stacks in the "()()" configuration.  this configuration is pretty soft and limits your drag range.  a quick switch to a "(())" configuration can usually bump up the drag range to something more reasonable.  welcome and good luck!!!

Thanks Alan, I always set the drag with a scale and pulling through the rod.  I think the Avet's and Siegler's should have considerably more drag than the others, but frankly it's overkill for how I'll use them.  Everything will be stand-up, no chair on the boat, so 15-20lb's of drag is plenty.

Quotenice to hear your servicing your own reels

I like to tinker, always pulling stuff apart to see how it works, usually get it back together   :D  Not something I'll ever do professionally but enjoy it in my spare time.

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

happyhooker

Greetings, from Minnesota.

Frank

Dominick

Welcome from San Mateo, CA.  Show some photos of your new boat.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.