Penn Silver Beach 99, for AU$10:00 - Don Western AU March 2, 2021

Started by El Pescador, March 03, 2021, 04:08:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

El Pescador

Hello Everyone!
Don asked me to post this Pen Silver Beach 99 he purchased for AU$10!!!   Nice Job Don!!!!

Hi Wayne & Jennifer
hoping this contact finds you both & your family in good health & covid free,
I just brought a Penn Silver Beach 99, for AU$10:00,
it has a faint crack in the faceplate,

could you place it on the forum under Penn Vintage reels for me,
cheers, Don.

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Crow

Good score on that one ! The knob is worth more than that !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Donnyboat

Yes thanks Wayne, to the rescue again for me, yes the handle is very nice, I have been doing some reading on the forum about this reel , the reel was in a local shop, I tried to twist it of but would not budge, it had on the forum that you can uses a jig master 500 plate on it, considering that I have a spare 500 plat kindly sent to me a couple of years ago, for free by my old mate Mike,(MHC).
     I will try to fill the original plate crack, with some flat black paint mixed in some two pack epoxy, & reinforce the inside with it, also, the reel is in good working order, it had some very stiff old mono on it original line I would say. I have managed to twist the plate of now. that I own it.
     by the way if anyone has a spare plate for it, please contact me with a price, could be worth chewing over, the spool is in very good order, after removing the line, the reel has part numbers on it so I would think its a past 50`s reel. also yesterday I brought a senator 9/0 with the old riveted clicker in it, never heard a clicker so loud, also a sealine 450 & a silstar TRL-20 lever drag, got the 3 for AU$ 100:00, I sold a 9/0 to Milne last year, this one is in better order, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Brewcrafter

Mr. Don - I always love that you post your West Australia adventures here!  Looking forward to you bringing this reel back up to snuff, what or how are you planning to use it for?  Always like to hear from where the fishing is a little "different" from what I am used to, you never know you might accidentally learn something that is useful in our own adventures!  :D

Donnyboat

Thanks you John Toby, I will use it for the display cabinet, now thats not much help to you is it, I have the 99 in pieces just now, gave it the vinegar  water soak this morning, & been polishing it with turtle wax, just have to polish the brass bearings, by placing AAA steel wool on a drill bit, & spinning it in the drill, then I will split a bit of dowel, & place some some wet  dry cloth, about 2500 grade to smooth it of, then some very light auto transmission fluid as lube, please if anyone wishes to offer a better formula I am always prepared to listen, you wont insult me, Toby if I was going to fish with it over here, I would target, small trevelly ( Skippy in Aussie terms) or Taylor of the beach, also herring, called tommy roughs over Eastern Aussie, the salmon, start to move up the coast here soon, so maybe one of them could test it, as I said before I also picked up a senator 9/0, that I stripped & place it in the vinegar, with the 99, not much chance of getting the parts mixed up, between them two, cheers Don. 
Don, or donnyboat

mhc

Hey Don, I was thinking about what you said about the 500 plate fitting the 99. The head plate should fit in the quick release ring but you will need to use jigmaster internals - the 99 bridge plates and gears won't fit in a jigmaster plate. You've probably spotted that by now but thought I'd mention it anyway.

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

mo65

I remember a few years ago touching on this subject. Sometimes even between different age Jigmasters the lock screw can be slightly out of line. I've had my best luck with lining up properly when swapping from Jiggy to Surfmaster rather than Jiggy to Silverbeach.

https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=17516.msg207131#msg207131
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Donnyboat

Thanks Mike & Mike, I really have`nt gone that far yet, the crack in the face plate, not really showing on the inside, I am stalling from doing anything with the out side, I have polished the out side  its not to bad, just might place it back together  see how it looks, thanks again.
      Mike (MHC) you did give me the internals with it, I think I placed them into a squidder, I have that reel in the display cabinet as well, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

El Pescador

Here are a few more photos of Don's Penn Reel collection:   Penn 99 Silver Beach & 350 Levelwind.

Enjoy!!!!!

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Donnyboat

Thanks Wayne, the 99 came up quite good, although its not all that smooth, the steel main gear had quite a bit of rust in it, note I have`nt tried to fill the crack in the front plate yet.
     note there is a leveline 350 next to it, I managed to get two of them, one almost wrecked, so i made one working reel out of the two, that reel is really smooth,although still looking a bit rough,
     one tail plate, broke in 1/2, so I am going to try  join it first see how it looks before trying, to work on the 99. cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Brewcrafter