TUTORIAL: Revo Inshore L(with kick lever upgrade)

Started by Killerbug, January 04, 2012, 09:24:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Killerbug

In this tutorial, I will change the click lever of the Revo Inshore L. The tutorial requires some basic reel repair skills,
and is not a complete step by step walk trough, as many of the steps is shown in other tutorials.  The kicklever used
in all Revo's are identical, apart from right and left hand reels. 

Not shown here is cleaning of the spool bearings, the levelvind, and the thumb bar.

After removing handle and endcap, we discover the usual deterioration of the aluminum thread. The endcap bearing is also drenged
in old emulsifies oil, but again shows no rust.

You loosen the screw holding the frame together, and you can loosen the sideplate for spool removal.

We can now remove the spool. If the spool is stocked, insert two screwdrivers into the line and pull it out.

Unscrew the four screw holding the sideplate, and lift the sideplate off and
remove the main gear.  Three on the sideplate, and one in the frame behind the spool.

Unscrew the two crews holding the orange plastcover in place, and lift it off without removing rest of the spool release mechanism.

Now remove the 2 crews holding the driveshaft in place, and lift it off the baseplate. 

Now we can gentle remove the click lever, careful of the little spring attached to it.

Here the new steel armored lever next to the old one.

Clean the mainframe, and the levelvind, then grease it up. The bearing under the driveshaft should be cleaned and greased.

Now it's time to mount the click lever and the spool release mechanism.  Mount the springs with the parts they are attached to, before screwing the orange plate back in place.

Now we can take a look at the gears and dragwashers, and clean them.

You loosen the screw holding the frame together, and you can loosen the sideplate for spool removal.

We can now remove the spool. If the spool is stocked, insert two screwdrivers into the line and pull it out.

Unscrew the four screw holding the sideplate, and lift the sideplate off and
remove the main gear.  Three on the sideplate, and one in the frame behind the spool.

Unscrew the two crews holding the orange plastcover in place, and lift it off without removing rest of the spool release mechanism.

Now remove the 2 crews holding the driveshaft in place, and lift it off the baseplate. 

Now we can gentle remove the click lever, careful of the little spring attached to it.

Here the new steel armored lever next to the old one.

Clean the mainframe, and the levelvind, then grease it up. The bearing under the driveshaft should be cleaned and greased.

Now it's time to mount the click lever and the spool release mechanism.  Mount the springs with the parts they are attached to, before screwing the orange plate back in place.

Now we can take a look at the gears and dragwashers, and clean them.

Here I needed to clean the cogwheel under the main gear with some steel wool

Clean the drag washers and lube them with teflon grease. As an option you can replace the fiber washer under the main gear,
but I choose not to on this reel.

Resample and lube the drag washers, then stack them back in place. Don't forget the IAR sleeve.

Grease the main gear, and put the cleaned pinion back in place. Dip the pinoin nail in grease and place it
back into the pinion.

Remove the bearing opposite driveside, clean it and relube it. Here I changed the shielded bearing to an
open one.

Clean the both bearings, lube the IAR bearing with light oil, and pack the pinion bearing with grease.
We can now put the sideplate back on.

Put the plastic cover back on, and mount the endcap.

Mount the handle, carefull to get the order correct when mounting the shims, mount the two outer shims like this ().

And we have a upgraded Revo Inshore L.
http://forum.esoxhunt.dk
-----------------------------
They say Catch and Release fishing is a lot like golf.
You don't have to eat the ball to have a good time

alantani

nice!  at some point, let me mail some drag washers to go under the main gear.  actually, just send me a pm with your address and i will send some out.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Killerbug

Wow, that would be really nice. I have something for you too.

alantani

deal!  i'm going to just drop the washers in a plain letter envelope and throw three stamps on them.  maybe four.  that should get them there with no problem.  alan

Killerbug

Cool, my next tutor will probably be the ABU flagship, the Ambassaduer Mörrum

Killerbug

Here an example where the Carbontex bottom washer I got from Alan came in handy, on another Revo ;)

The ABU stock one had to be removed with a screwdriver!

Here next to the new Carbontex washer

Clean the gear with steelwool, and the metal washers with a cloth.

Grease the bottom washer with drag grease, and mount it on the gear ratchet

Grease up the rest of the Carbon Matrix washers with plenty of PFTE drag grease, and stack them
inside the gear.

alantani

i got the grease you send.  so it's a teflon grease, right?  not a color i'm used to...... 

BigT

G'day Killerbug,

Can I ask where you found the steel click lever please and what the part number is so I can order one for my own Inshore?

Many thanks, T
more of my rebuilds on
http://www.fishraider.com.au

Killerbug

Quote from: BigT on April 04, 2012, 11:19:11 PM
G'day Killerbug,

Can I ask where you found the steel click lever please and what the part number is so I can order one for my own Inshore?

Many thanks, T

Sorry for the delay, but I have been traveling for some time.  The part number for the LH version is 1156750, and for the RH it is 1156749. Think you have to contact ABU Garcia in AU to order the parts.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Quote from: Killerbug on January 05, 2012, 01:05:27 PM
Cool, my next tutor will probably be the ABU flagship, the Ambassaduer Mörrum

can't wait for this one 'cuz i have a morrum....

budget angler

hi,i'm new into this forum site,i have a revo inshore too..wanna know about the kick lever,what kinda kick lever did u use? ???and how many piece of carbontex drag did you stack?can i put more that its spec?

sorry for too many q asked.. ;)

Killerbug

Quote from: budget angler on November 15, 2012, 02:02:29 PM
hi,i'm new into this forum site,i have a revo inshore too..wanna know about the kick lever,what kinda kick lever did u use? ???and how many piece of carbontex drag did you stack?can i put more that its spec?

sorry for too many q asked.. ;)

Regarding the kick lever, the part number for the LH version is 1156750, and for the RH it is 1156749. It's the same in all Revo Reels. You have to contact ABU Garcia in your country to order the parts.

In the Revo Inshore, you can only use four carbontex washers, one under the main gear, and tree inside the gear.

Ken_D

Hi KB, I sent a note your way re the revo's one way clutch brg..have you changed it out all same like the round C3's etc? Thanks, Ken. 

captscott

Another great thread!  I have three of these reels and love them dearly, but they are getting long in the tooth, and guess what they don't make it in Lefthand anymore  >:(  I feel confident after finding this thread that I can tackle them and make them like new again!!!  Do you feel the carbontex drag washers on this reel make a big difference?  Definitely must do the steel reinforced kick levers.  Will be ordering up a batch of those!  Thanks for posting!!!

Killerbug

Quote from: captscott on October 14, 2013, 05:09:22 PM
Do you feel the carbontex drag washers on this reel make a big difference?  

Not unless the original Carbon Matrix ones are worn out. The Carbon Matrix, are simular to Carbontex.