ID this rod OLD vintage solid glass rod

Started by steelfish, March 28, 2021, 03:56:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

philaroman

yeah, my opinion is from short L/UL perspective...  maybe flyrod-to-spinner convert
I guess w/ a SW 8-footer, blank weight is progressively more issue, HOWEVER
if you strip off all that wood & steel, you may discover a blank good enough for personal use
worst case scenario, light modern handle would make a loaner that is MUCH more enjoyable
and even more durable, the way YOU build 'em

steelfish

Quote from: philaroman on June 07, 2021, 08:33:12 PM
HOWEVER
if you strip off all that wood & steel, you may discover a blank good enough for personal use

this WOnderod is 2 pc, like many of that time, just below the foregrip and before the reel seat nut you can separate the rod in two pc, but still if I tear off all the wood on the foregrip I can have around 6.6ft of blank to work with, which is still a good size for a drop loop rod.
The Baja Guy

philaroman

if you want to minimize effort  ;)  might be a good 6'+ tip section,
for well-matched butt section made from broken heavier graphite rod

steelfish

Quote from: philaroman on June 08, 2021, 01:13:21 AM
if you want to minimize effort  ;)  might be a good 6'+ tip section,
for well-matched butt section made from broken heavier graphite rod

I didnt though about that but sounds like a clever idea, cut both rods and insert the 6.6ft blank into the buttsection as you would it on an aluminium or Slickbutt.

thanks for the tip compadre

PS: I think I have some broken Heavy graphite rods that I saved for use them as "free" Gaff grips, I will check that out soon.

The Baja Guy

JasonGotaProblem

So i ended up with a rod very similar to the one in the OP, labeled as a montague. Can anyone help me put a date on this beast? It came attached to the very old penn senator that I bought on CL for $30. At a minimum the handle is gonna need some sanding, I already got one splinter. Quite heavy rod, no idea of the line or lure rating, that part of the markings is worn off. Has 2 guides plus roller tip.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Benni3

My dad got this at a sale today,,,,,,,, :o he said it was like 20ft long and looks it,,,,, :-\ but it's 13ft and maybe custom built in the 70's best guess Carolina surf rod,,,,,,?  ;D

philaroman

that looks like very nice thin-wall glass
if it were solid, Dad would have put it back 1 sec. after trying to lift it  ;D

Benni3

Quote from: philaroman on August 21, 2021, 08:02:08 PM
that looks like very nice thin-wall glass
if it were solid, Dad would have put it back 1 sec. after trying to lift it  ;D
Yes thin wall glass,,,,,, ;D

Benni3

Tried it out,,,, ;) no fish on it,,,but it casts great with a 706 and the way it loads up,,,,, ;D

oc1

That's a beast.  The blank looks like Fenwick but it's hard to tell with the custom build.  There could not have been many kinds of 13 ft. one-piece blanks.  Chris (1badf350) or someone else here might have old Fenwick catalogs.

Swami805

Silaflex and Conolon made 1 piece 13' blanks, I have a few, could be a Fenwick too. Post a few close-ups of the glass, might provide a hint.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

oc1

I blew up Benny's picture and it shows a little better.  The color is wrong for Conolon but it could easily be Silaflex.  Actually, I like Silaflex as a guess better than Fenwick.  But, it would be pre-Browning Sialflex because Brownings are more brown and less reddish.  That would make it 1950's or early 1960's.

Benni3

It's got a nice feel to it for the age,,,,,, ;D

oc1

You can see the spirals from the cellophane when it was baked.  The only pre-Browning Silaflex I have does not have the spirals.

The rod build (either factory or custom) would have probably been cork rings back in the day.  I don't know when that cork wrap stuff came out  Maybe 1970's?  It could easily have been a rebuild though.

philaroman

"orangy-brown" spiral looks close to Daiwa Surf 12' 2-pc rods
is it definitely a 1-pc blank?  ...seems unlikely Daiwa sold those in US
could it be a rebuilt/extended/perma-joined Daiwa 12-footer