ID this rod OLD vintage solid glass rod

Started by steelfish, March 28, 2021, 03:56:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Benni3

Fenwick made a 14ft,,,,could a ft have taken off the butt,,,,,, :-\

Cuttyhunker

Jason,
I picked up a pair of Montague/True tempers, both names on the rods, see my post on page 3 here, same green as yours and are 8' boat rods.  If mine are from the ownership transfer period your's may be just a little older, if only having the Monty name on them.
Doomed from childhood

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: Cuttyhunker on August 23, 2021, 06:15:33 PM
Jason,
I picked up a pair of Montague/True tempers, both names on the rods, see my post on page 3 here, same green as yours and are 8' boat rods.  If mine are from the ownership transfer period your's may be just a little older, if only having the Monty name on them.
I was beginning to worry that Benni3 stole the show with his admittedly way more interesting find. I don't know if this will ever see use. I also got hold of an old penn long Beach rod that feels like it's also solid glass. Maybe I'll commit sacrilege and turn them both into heavy spinning boat rods.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

philaroman

well, if it's solid, it bends same in every direction, correct?
no sacrilege, no sp(l)ine search, no seat replacement...  you're half-done  ;D

jurelometer

Quote from: JasonGotaPenn on August 24, 2021, 02:07:31 PM
Jason,
I was beginning to worry that Benni3 stole the show with his admittedly way more interesting find. I don't know if this will ever see use. I also got hold of an old penn long Beach rod that feels like it's also solid glass. Maybe I'll commit sacrilege and turn them both into heavy spinning boat rods.

Split some 1 inch sanding belts and make a  cork reamer or two. Slow taper like that is usually better for a reamer than most blanks.    And then there is always tomato stakes.    Those old solid glass rods were  mostly good for not breaking as rental rods on party boat day trips  back in the day.  They didn't even fish that well back then.

Quote from: Benni3 on August 22, 2021, 03:41:04 AM
Tried it out,,,, ;) no fish on it,,,but it casts great with a 706 and the way it loads up,,,,, ;D

Plus if you bring a nerf ball, you and Marlo can shoot hoops with that bottom guide while waiting for a bite.   ;D

-J

Benni3

Quote from: jurelometer on August 24, 2021, 06:04:30 PM
Quote from: JasonGotaPenn on August 24, 2021, 02:07:31 PM
Jason,
I picked up a pair of Montague/True tempers, both names on the rods, see my post on page 3 here, same

Quote from: Benni3 on August 22, 2021, 03:41:04 AM
Tried it out,,,, ;) no fish on it,,,but it casts great with a 706 and the way it loads up,,,,, ;D

Plus if you bring a nerf ball, you and Marlo can shoot hoops with that bottom guide while waiting for a bite.   ;D

-J

A member here is almost sure it was made in OBX same wrap style,,,,, ;) and the guys on striper.com think's it's a fenwick or daiwa blank,,,,,,,,, ;D

thorhammer

Def looks like some old Daiwa's I have. Fenwick of the period had root-beer colored s-glass blanks that were sought after at the time, but I think yours looks more like the Daiwa. My 0.019999.

Benni3

Michael(ETX)

Did you have any luck on identifying it? I've been trying to identify this rod my grandpa gave me 20 years ago and haven't had any luck.

Michael(ETX)

Can anyone ID this for me?

steelfish

sorry amigo, I dont recognize the lettering, hopefully someone will help you soon
The Baja Guy

Michael(ETX)

Quote from: steelfish on April 01, 2024, 04:54:31 PMsorry amigo, I dont recognize the lettering, hopefully someone will help you soon
Thank you

oc1

Being able to read the label won't tell you much about the rod.  In their day, it seemed like every fishing brand and every family had those translucent solid glass rods, many with identical handles.  They were inexpensive compared to tubular glass, mostly reliable and took a lot of abuse.  They were heavy compared to tubular glass and that hardwood handle helped balance the swing weight.  They did get "soft" through use though and would lose their power. 

Cuttyhunker

The greenish glass says Montigue/True Temper, I don't know if any others used that color as well or if Monte/TT were putting out trade named rods?  Is, or was Lains(?) a tackle retailer in the past, like K-Mart?  The 895 rings a bell I think as a Monte or TT thing, but I'm away from my pile of oldies for a while so I can't check it out right now.  Do you have the top section of the rod?  If I'm looking to dress them up or keep an oldie as a fisher I cut off or rasp the base to size so I can epoxy on a nylon gimbal, and maybe re wrap, replace, or overwrap the guides depending on condition, Then I finish with several coats of easy to use latex spar varnish over everything but the gimbal and seat.  Your seat looks better than the aluminum K Mart OceanSide series that would corrode as if welded into place and you seem to have the better 2 lock nuts for the seat slide. If I see the 895 code I'll let you know.   
Doomed from childhood