Muffuletta & Italian Gasoline Station Sandwiches

Started by El Pescador, April 07, 2021, 02:21:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

El Pescador

Yesterday, Jonathan (theswimmer) was in the area & I asked him to stop by for lunch, wanting Dominick to make his world-famous Muffuletta Sandwiches for us.  He obliged!

Dominick getting started on the Muffuletta sandwiches.

It all starts with the Muffulttta sandwich spread.

And man is it delicious!!!!

A good hardy amount on a hollowed-out bread roll.

And here is the star of the SHOW!  Muffuletta Italian Olive Salad from the Olive Pit, Corning, CA.  

Dominick works too fast, I did not photograph each step, BUTT after the olive spread layer, it was Provolone cheese, Genoa Salami, Hot Coppa (my favorite), and Mortadella.

Now, Dominick will need to chime in here, and best explain what Italian Gasoline Station Sandwiches are and how he found out about them.  They use slightly green tomatoes for the starter.

Again, a hollowed-out sandwich roll, with Olive Oil, and Oregano on both sides, then the same as before:  Provolone cheese, Genoa Salami, Hot Coppa (my favorite), and Mortadella with the sliced green tomatoes on top.

Now, lunchtime!!!!!  Have one, take two!!!!

Muffuletta Sandwiches!!!   My favorite!!!! ;D

and the Italian Gasoline Station Sandwiches!!

Here is the lunchtime gang!!!!   Dominick, Me, Jonathan & Linda.  Jennifer is the photographer.

Let's EAT!!!

Wayne

Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

xjchad

Husband, Father, Fisherman

thorhammer

mmmmmmm That'd got Thorhammer written all over it.....

Bryan Young

Wow, that looks delicious. Almost didn't recognize Jonathan with his COVID hairstyle.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

mike1010

Looks great.  I always thought that "mortadella" sounded like a Sicilian death threat :->.

foakes

That sandwich is a masterpiece, Wayne —

Nice to see the gang!

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Keta

Now I have to clean the drool off of my keyboard.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Dominick

Thanks for posting that Wayno.  There is a small story behind the gas station sandwiches.  When driving on the Autostrada in Italy and you needed coffee or a snack all the Agip Oil Company stations had espresso bars and these sandwiches (panini) with a crusty bread slices of green tomato, cheese, some salami, mortadella and copocollo.  The panini were simply dressed with olive oil and oregano.  No mayo or mustard to overwhelm the fine bread meat and cheese.  The panini were so good that I was stopping at almost every one of the stations along the road.  I have replicated those sandwiches on many occasions and they are my favorite.  Dominick

BTW copocollo roughly translated from Italian means the top of the butt.  There are only two on a horse or cow.  It is a barely used muscle on the top of each buttock.  TMY?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

David Hall

Looks absolutely delicious.  I'd have to eat mine on soft bread though or risk losing my dentures.

Hardy Boy

What .................... you ate those without a glass of wine ????? What would they say in the Old Country? Looks yummy.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

MarkT

I hope you didn't use too many of the bathrooms on those stops in Italy!  I don't like going with just a hole in the floor and a cleaning lady in there.

In New Orleans the Muffulettas are much bigger than those slices!  Probably not as tasty however!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

sciaenops

Gobi King

Nice, no mustard et no mayo, true, one can taste the fine bread and the content better, love it!
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Bill B

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Dominick

Quote from: mike1010 on April 07, 2021, 03:12:01 PM
Looks great.  I always thought that "mortadella" sounded like a Sicilian death threat :->.

Hey!  You no maka the fun.  I mortadella you.   ;D  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.