Name That PENN BAIL TYPE SPINNING REEL

Started by Wompus Cat, April 13, 2021, 02:52:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wompus Cat

Got this off the Bay along with a 114 needing work but got Both going and would like to know what this one Is ?
It is built like a Tank and weighs just under 2 pounds,has a brass main gear and apparently some bearings .
The Bail Returns with a Force that would compare to a Rat Trap .
Says Penn in several places and has a spot where a Badge might have been but is long gone.

Sooooooooo? What it is ?  and Maybe age and is it worth restoring .

Thank you .
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

thorhammer

Either a 704Z or 706Z- check your weight again; these are supposed to be 21 oz. WELL worth restoration- there is a little cottage industry and following for modifying these reels. They are Tanks.

Nick, post up a pic of yours.

Aiala

I also think it's a 704Z. John is right, what you have there is a splendid and tough classic reel that's been horribly cared-for, which definitely deserves to be brought back to life. Just to give you some idea, here's an NIB one from the fleaBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Penn-704z-Classic-Saltwater-Spinning-Reel-late-70s-Made-in-USA-New-Old-Stock/203324058449?hash=item2f570eeb51:g:FVMAAOSwkU9gYLV-

If I needed a truly great old Penn spinner, I wouldn't blink at that price, either.  :)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

thorhammer

Two bills, for the last one you'll ever need...agree! Great to hear out of you, Lady A!

Aiala

And, amazingly, (except for the housing, which can be painted) Mystic has virtually every part you might need for a thorough restoration:

https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Penn704Z.aspx

Good luck!   :)

~A~

Wompus Cat

Quote from: Aiala on April 13, 2021, 03:37:06 PM
I also think it's a 704Z. John is right, what you have there is a splendid and tough classic reel that's been horribly cared-for, which definitely deserves to be brought back to life. Just to give you some idea, here's an NIB one from the fleaBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Penn-704z-Classic-Saltwater-Spinning-Reel-late-70s-Made-in-USA-New-Old-Stock/203324058449?hash=item2f570eeb51:g:FVMAAOSwkU9gYLV-

If I needed a truly great old Penn spinner, I wouldn't blink at that price, either.  :)

~A~

Thanks for the replies.
So far this old War Horse seems flawless in operation and is tight as well.Looks like Joe Lewis after losing a Fight   but smooth turning and Bail Return that would kill a Rat for sure.
From best I can tell it weighs 1 pound 8 ounces is ALL METAL except for drag knob.
Wondering if it is 705 or something else since it left hand retrieve?
I Knew it was something when I picked it up out of the box with the weigh of it and after opening it up it seems like a Gorilla might use it .

How else can I determine just what model it is .
Gear Teeth Count, weight, any outside circumference or other measurements and would there be a Badge available some where ?

thorhammer

even number means left hand. RH would be 705. you can maybe measure spool diameter and post it to see if someone that has one can verify. I cant get to my 706 at the moment to check.

Wompus Cat

With the Spool in my hand across the bottom is 2.9 inches or 73.7 M&M's............lol

foakes

Like every one of the experts say, Henry —

It is a Penn 704Z.

Here is one out of the recently acquired reels that have not been sorted yet — 2.9 inches OD on lower part of the spool.

These are basically indestructible tractors.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Wompus Cat

THanks Fred,Just wanted to be sure b-4 I tried finding an Emblem .

Aiala

Wompus Cat

Wompus Cat

I KNOW I am prob stretching it here but

oc1

I never liked stickers on reels and always pull them off as it comes out of the box.  Ambassadeurs of that era had stickers too.

Wompus Cat

Quote from: oc1 on April 14, 2021, 06:42:52 AM
I never liked stickers on reels and always pull them off as it comes out of the box.  Ambassadeurs of that era had stickers too.

Well I don't reely care for them either however the lack thereof on this Reel is the basis  of this entire thread and all this great info would have gone un - typed or gawked at by over 130 peeps so far .

My Favorite Bumper Sticker is

HONK IF YOU DON'T LIKE HONK IF YOU LIKE STICKERS