304/Shellcracker/date?

Started by jgp12000, April 18, 2021, 12:30:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jgp12000

I got this 304 off Ebay from a guy that got at an estate sale. I cleaned it up and lubed with reel butter. I had to straighten the handle and man this is one slick reel ! It is my first 304 and now I wish  had more. The only foot numbers I could make out were the first 4 <2383> I caught this nice shellcracker yesterday. I stocked 200 6inchers 2 years ago, I have been releasing them hoping to raise a 2lber to mount someday. I keep all the bream for bait or the freezer or give away.

Gfish

Cool! That Shellcracker reminds me of the farmpond Bluegill I caught as a kid, trying to perfect the fishing techniques I was showen by adult minor leaguers. Lookin like a male gettin into spawning mode.
Those critters can over-populate a small impoundment if not managed relative to thier predator species(Largemouths?).
Eventually, I learned to use 2-4"ers to get the Bass.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

oc1

Lord, put some more line on that reel.

jgp12000

yessir oc1, I had a smiggen of Seaguar Invizx left and at 18 bucks a pop I wanted to use it up. I did notice it didn't want to cast very far with the line being so close to the center of the spool and I may splice in some more line soon

dlrider

put some cheap backing line on it THEN put your good stuff on that to fill it.

steelfish

nice little reel, I have the lefty version, but hesitate on using it on saltwater, I have some other small reels for saltwater use.
The Baja Guy