Penn 10 upgrades

Started by AlasKen, April 18, 2021, 05:33:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlasKen

At a suggestion by someone here I just picked up a pair of Penn 10s.  I was out of reels to service.  Just curious as to thoughts on upgrades.  I am not sure the capabilities of this reel.  Seems a fairly lightweight reel to use on the boat.  Thinking rockfish and salmon for grandkids.  One stand is bent.  I saw some old posts about upgrade options but not sure if still available.

Looking for suggestions on what to look for to make a decent fishing reel for boat use in Alaska, jigging and mooching.  I like level wind for the young ones. Since these will be used by kids I don't need high drag numbers.  There will also see some use fishing from shore for trout while camping so some casting.  I haven't opened them up but they seem to be in basic working order but in definite need cleaning and servicing.  They were loaded with lead core line which I removed, so used for trolling. 

I have plenty of larger reels.  I just like taking things apart and tinkering to make them better.  Thanks in advance

Swami805

Just basic service. They have bearings so you'll want to clean those and oil with TSI321 to smooth them out.  They should cast ok. Check the drag washers, they may be HT100 which are fine greased, if they're the old kind you should replace them with CF.  I have one my grandson uses when he's here, perfect for him. You can adjust it so it won't birdnest too much.  The aluminum spool is a plus.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Gfish

A nice, updated Penn Levelwinder. I got a 210 for my son, then really liked it and got one for me. Pluses over the 9 series: 4:1 gears, ball bearings(debatable), aluminium or metal spool(350 yds. #20 on metal), ht 100 washers- stock. All said and done, it's kinda heavy compared to the 9 series levelwinders.

Your 10 should have a magnet for cast control. Also, spposed to weigh 5oz. less and hold less line than the 210(10=275yds.#15). Looks like a better option for casting...
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

AlasKen

Gfish, How does the mag cast control work and any tricks to setup a 10 for less backlash for younger kids or older spouses when casting? 

thorhammer

Same drags as Squidder and Long Beach 65- which have caught among other things, the WR red drum at about 93 lbs at OBX, and more stripers, blues, snappers and grouper than anyone can count on the LB's. I use the 10's regularly for live baiting schoolie stripers, zero issues, ever. Mag control is slotted cap adjustment on left side plate. These will never win any casting comp, at least in stock form, but but one can dial it in sling pretty and certainly for lobbing bait off of a boat. There is an SS gear sleeve for it but I've never needed one. I did put 24-310S Penn handles on all mine because I like the extra half-inch of blade and ergo knob. I use 20 pound mono for my application but I would have zero qualms about putting 30 pound braid on this reel for jigging.

John

Decker

The magnet is stationary on the bridge, part# 301 on the schematic.

Chad (XJChad) did some very nice upgrades on the 10.  I'll look for the links.

Decker

AlasKen

Thanks everyone.  I have some good info. 

akfish

I believe there were 10s made without the magnet. Can anyone verify this?
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska