Saltist antireverse pawl

Started by jzumi, April 19, 2021, 04:46:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jzumi

30HA LW just got serviced.  During first use it "wouldn't go into gear".  When I got it back, it went in and out of gear fine once I tightened the star drag which seemed to have been backed off all the way.  I informed the owner that perhaps it was just a matter of the drag being backed off all the way.  He said no way, keep looking.

Everything looked fine when I opened it up.  Eccentric working, yoke and pinion fine, springs all good, etc.  But the pawl was not on the stud or post that it rotates on.  Of course, I only noticed this after I lifted the drive gear so I assumed that it was off simply because it comes off with the ratchet. 

But it got me to thinking.  Could the pawl possibly have somehow fallen off the stud and then jammed the yoke or eccentric?  Nothing really holds it onto the stud, just those flimsy arms that hold it to the ratchet.  And if that happened you might not notice anything awry because there appears to be an AR bearing (Key #58 part no. E63-3301).  The pawl running amok would only be noticed if it interfered with the otherwise normal operations of the reel.

I'm still thinking it was just the user not realizing the drag was backed off all the way. 

alantani

i have never seen one of these pop off. i guess it's possible, but i just don't see how.  things are tight enough that the dog should stay in place.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

I've never seen it pop off before, but I have had reels that came into me with it off the stud after someone opened the reel and could not put it back together.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

jzumi

Thanks for the input.

I'll tell my buddy to check the drag star if it ever happens to him again.          ...Or maybe he should shake the reel and listen for loose internal parts once in a while!