Fathom II gear question

Started by Jenx, April 20, 2021, 06:24:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jenx

I know that the smaller Fathom II star drag reels (12 and 15) only come in 6.1:1 gear ratio, while the larger models (25n - 40) give you the choice between a 4.8:1 and 6.1:1 ratios. What I want to know is if it's possible to convert one of my 15's into a lower gear ratio? Could I just buy a new 4.8:1 main gear and pinion, and swap them out with the current gears? Or are the smaller reels not compatible?

My Fathom II 15 SDCS holds 380 yards of 50lb braid, and boasts a lot of drag. I figure adding a lower gear ratio would make this a really tough little real, assuming the lighter "casting Special" spool can hold up to abuse.

MarkT

Are the 6:1 gears the same part number as in the 25n?   All 3 ratios of gears in the old GS reels were interchangeable between the 525/535/545/555.  I think the later 525 Mags used different gears.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Jenx

It appears all the 6:1's use the same gear.

I should be fine swapping the gears out, right? This might be an obvious answer, but I have never swapped out gears on a reel before.

Thanks for the response.

Jenx

I just found an old post on the BD forums which answered my question. It looks like you can swap the gears in the 12 and 15 to the 4.8 but not the casting special reel.

Thanks again.