Spiral Wrap with Roller ?

Started by RSIA-01, April 24, 2021, 02:34:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RSIA-01

Hello Everyone,

I want to build a standup rod from a Blackhole Giant blank for pairing with Accurate BV2-1000 or Shimano Talica 50 use 130-200Lbs line for Giant Grouper (up to 400lbs),Bull Shark (up to 600lbs) and Black Marlin (up to 400lbs) and I'm interest in spiral wrap concept with roller guide.
My question is can I make it without All American Neptune roller striper (Transition) guide ?
Because I live in Thailand and do not know how to order this guide.
I already have a blank and complete set of Tycoon Fin-Nor / Aftco Wind-On roller guide and also a few AA Neptune degree guide and top that I bought from USA last 5 years.
(The shop that I bought this guides that time is not have AA Neptune striper at that time)

Thanks

Swami805

I'd think the line might slide off the roller and slip between the roller and guide frame or rub on the guide frame itself.  Be a good idea to fasten the guides to the blank temporarily and pull on it and see what happens
There's heavy duty ring guides that would be comparable to rollers in every way. Might be a better choice
Do what you can with that you have where you are

alantani

for our tuna, the move has been away from roller guides and back to plain guides.  i understand that the quality of these newer ceramic guides is so good now that rollers are really needed anymore. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

steelfish

someone already tried it, I dont know him and dont know how it worked in the long run

but I also think you better off with some heavy duty ceramic guides as the Fuji HB or the ALPS XHN

https://www.thehulltruth.com/sportfishing-charters-forum/567386-spiral-wrap-heavy-trolling-rods-2.html
The Baja Guy

gstours

As an avid fisherman, let's start by my admission in not being an expert...✅...
  You are wanting to build a very strong and expensive rod to fight your quarry....
The roller guides and tip are very good for trolling.  No question.  Very good.
  Butt in my opinion the rod you have in mind might be weight forward in a way that you might not like it.
Trolling rods just stay in a holder 90% of the time.  Trolling reels are heavy.  That's trolling.....
   I'm afraid if you weigh your guides and compare these rollers and then compare to a hd turbo or other stainless or titanium frame guide train you will see a significant difference.....
  The transition guides on a spiral wrap rod between the stripper and inthe transition makes this another question of is the roller the better guide here.
  If I didn't say anything,  I'd think maybe someone might not help you,   Butt I think they will......🎣🙋‍♂️

Jeri

As has been mentioned, it is the transition section that is going to cause the greatest problem with rollers throughout. Something like the Fuji RB guides with silicone carbide inserts are probably going to be more than the equal to any roller guide for a spiral wrapped heavy trolling rod. Either PRBSG for polished stainless or IGRBSG for gold coloured.

Hope that helps

Cuttyhunker

Having dealt with commercial running tackle the rule of thumb was the arc put on the running rigging was never less than 4X the diameter of the cordage or wire rope.  The diameter of roller tip allows the load to be carried more uniformly over the arc by all the fibers.  Less than 4X diameter the load is transfer to the more severely stretched exterior threads while the interior of the arc is mostly unloaded.  A simplistic explanation of why stuff breaks at the knot.  I suppose those commercial guidelines could translate here.  I'm going to try a spiral build this season, old school guides, no moving parts, down the blank and a roller top is my fantasy for now.   
Doomed from childhood

RC4600

This post got me thinking, does it make sense to use conventional guides for the transition and then switch to the roller guides. I liked the concept of the rollers on the bottom of the rod in the picture, but the use of rollers for the transition looked very problematic to me.

Swami805

If the transition and first running guide were rings that should work. I think the OP already owns some of the guides so it would save some scratch.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

oc1

If they are AFTCO rollers then make sure the line can ride on the other side of the roller without rubbing the frame.

boon

Quote from: Cuttyhunker on April 25, 2021, 01:55:48 PM
The diameter of roller tip allows the load to be carried more uniformly over the arc by all the fibers.  Less than 4X diameter the load is transfer to the more severely stretched exterior threads while the interior of the arc is mostly unloaded.  A simplistic explanation of why stuff breaks at the knot.  I suppose those commercial guidelines could translate here.  I'm going to try a spiral build this season, old school guides, no moving parts, down the blank and a roller top is my fantasy for now.   

In theory it should be a non-issue - if the rod is loaded heavily, the line should be running more or less straight out the tip guide. If the load is not that heavy, then the different radii should be less of a problem.