A Different Reel Shop Focus

Started by foakes, April 27, 2021, 05:37:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Around 14 months ago — the pandemic became serious.

About that same time — it was time for me to shift gears a bit with the reel repair, service, and restoration efforts.

Having always enjoyed spinning reels — Particularly the reliable, solid ones from DAM Quick, Penn, ABU, ABU/Zebco Cardinals, and Mitchell — I decided to pretty much specialize in those reels.  There were plenty of members who were already experts at working on their conventional reels — so I didn't need to do as much on these, as I had for the last 40+ years.

I have been fortunate enough to have accumulated fairly massive inventories of New Old Stock parts for these spinning reels from old closed down tackle shops.  Without that, none of the change would have made much sense.

During the last 14 months, I have been also accumulating additional reels (hard to pass up good values on quality spinners!).

Just tossed them on shelves in piles — to add with the other spinners.

Decided to sort them into groups last week.

Then yesterday afternoon, I also built a hinged display board for the most popular Quicks from 1951 up to 1983.  It opens up — and in 10 cabinets behind it that I built and shot together a few years ago — on the North wall of my small shop — are aound 72 large bins of complete DAM Quicks and spools — with maybe 25 or 30 reels in each bin. The Penns, Mitchell's, ABU's, and Cardinals are in the outer shops — along with many parts.

All of the DQ parts are number organized, same with the Penn parts — still need to do the ABU and Mitchell parts.

I am not a collector anymore — and do trade & sell most of the inventory.  

There are (4) additional shops plus a new powder-coating shop in other areas of the outer upstairs and downstairs barn.

Will be getting rid of all of the other reels, parts, and junk that doesn't work into the plan.

Nice to start shedding this inventory, that while perhaps worthwhile to others — has run its course.with my future planning.

Best, Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Wompus Cat

Nice Set up Fred.
Good to see someone can actually Focus and Organize these Days.
Looks like you are set for the Next 40 years
All I see missing is a Big Smoker,Industrial Meat Grinder , Sausage Stuffer and a Kegalator.
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

jgp12000

Now that I am retired I hope to get my shop half that organized, it's not a good thing in the middle of a project when you know you have a part or tool but have to spend more time looking for that item than actually working on the project at hand. I appreciate your organization skills and I know as many reels as you work on it is a must.

thorhammer

My friend, to not be a collector, you have an amazingly focused, comprehensively grouped, inventoried and displayed accumulation :)

Bryan Young

Amazing Fred!!!  Not only in your organization but your ability to build what you need to be organized. Awesome!
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Midway Tommy

Looks great, Fred! I envy your accumulation & organization!  8)
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Dominick

Hey Fred, what do you do in your spare time?  It sure looks like you don't have any.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

foakes

Quote from: Dominick on April 27, 2021, 07:18:11 PM
Hey Fred, what do you do in your spare time?  It sure looks like you don't have any.  Dominick

If there is one thing I have learned —

All of the money ever printed in the history of the world — won't buy another minute of time.

So, since it is so valuable — I try to make it count.

It is of tremendous importance, IMO, to have a supporting wife who allows this.

Sue has her study and writing room upstairs, across the hall from mine — and I support her hobbies and interests.

Occasionally, there is a little eye-rolling on her part — but never criticism.  Same with me.

Most days, we spend an hour or more together in the early morning before dawn — chatting and a little Bible study — then go our separate ways until we come back together in the early evening for dinner and a little TV like Netflix, Amazon, Paramount, Disney, Acorn, or PBS.

Mutual respect, support, encouragement, and separate pursuit of passions and interests — then joining together also.

Kind of corny to some, I know — but it is important to a fairly balanced lifestyle, at least for us.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

happyhooker

Glad for you, Fred.  You've decided what you want to do, and are trying to do it in an organized, 1st class, way.  If you were 20 yrs. old, I would say you are diving in too soon and too deep.  But, with your background and experience, it makes perfect sense to go after it whole hog and do it the way that will make you feel the most gratification.  And, your relationship with your spouse is the bedrock of it all; I know I couldn't do most of what I do, and have done, without my wife with me [I am lucky (blessed)].

Frank

reelrepair123

fred truly amazing, looks like your number 1.  you are the best,  you and sue definately live a splendid life , that's what it's all about being a fantastic couple, love it.   take care my friend have a wonderful summer.  when your going to sell parts let me know.  my best to you and sue   harryk

scrinch

Fred you've really set up your hobby/business beautifully. You must take great satisfaction in maintaining the parts and expertise to keep the DQ line alive and vibrant!

whalebreath

Brewcrafter

I think that Fred's impact on our hobby is frankly understated.  To begin with his efforts to secure and accumulate old tackle shop inventories - which I am sure that many old tackle/reel shops have probably sadly ended up in dumpsters as the original owners moved on but he was able to prevent that with so many others.  And these are parts that will probably never see the light of day again as far as aftermarket repros.  And secondly his amazing dedication to taking the time and effort to organizing what he has accumulated so that it actually has positive impact going forward - if someone needs an "XYZ" he will pretty quickly know if he has one  - after all you can have the greatest accumulation of parts in the world (I think he may be up there) but IF you can't find what you are looking for it is just really a large pile of obsolete junk; and that is not what Fred has.  And lest my post make it sound like he is just a "parts clerk" his knowledge of what all of those parts are, and the reels they go in and how they work together is something I have benefitted from many times.  Thank you Sir! - john  

oc1

Yeah.  Really.  Well said John.  Always amazing Fred.