Main Menu

Deep six

Started by gstours, April 27, 2021, 01:50:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

Here's another raw one from the silicone molds that I was able to make during the winter.
   The original pattern is from a wood carving that I made while visiting in Oregon for a while.
Soon it's getting painted and hooky things, weighing about 12 ounces,  It's called deep six.🎣.

Bill B

There is a lot of potential in that one Gary.....looking forward to the finished product....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Dominick

Gary, get your airbrush going and show the finished product.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

whalebreath

Time to look for a new name-the diver as shown is a Deep Six/has been for decades and is still very much in production/for sale everywhere.

https://www.rapala.com/luhr-jensen/trolling-accessories/divers/deep-six/Deep+Six.html

gstours

Ok,  thanks,  another failure right?   Oar.
    Deep throat?   Nope that's a movie, right?    Got to get it right.
So here's the little sister of the "six".    Let's call her little queeny.......  ok?
   Painting is next,  butt not yet.    Any ideas 💡.    I,m playing with n airbrush butt not sure what to do.
Bad habits are hard to change.   
  The silicone mold works perfectly.    It's worth the effort.     

jurelometer

Looks good Gary.

A couple thoughts:

You might want to test drive the jigs to see if they fish better upside down.   The center of mass, and significant weight farther from the center of mass ( moment arm, kind of like a keel on a boat, or too much gear stacked on deck) will determine the orientation and  action on drop of the lure with no line attached.  Drag from the line can change the drop, either passively, or intentionally by slowing the decent and keeping the nose up. 

Not too many drop jigs have a copy of the natural fish shape in three dimensions.    Folks want to pull the jig forward by the head, but it will usually want to flip around and drop head first, which can cause tangles with the line, and a U-turn action on the drop and lift.  Most successful drop jigs either fall sideways ( crippled herrings, flatfalls) or  bottom first ( Norwegian jigs, knife jigs,  that jig that I sent you).   But you never know for sure unless you try it.

In terms of paint,  you already know what I think about fancy colors and paint jobs vs. the science of fish vision.   But who can argue against having a little fun if the fish don't mind? Last time that I checked, this whole recreational fishing thing was supposed to be about having some fun.

Maybe try printing some instructions on the jig:  "Sculpins prohibited.   Halibut bite here ->"
:)  :)  :)

-J

Dominick

Quote from: jurelometer on April 28, 2021, 06:06:27 PM

Maybe try printing some instructions on the jig:  "Sculpins prohibited.   Halibut bite here ->"

-J

;D ;D ;D Dave, that is funny.  Dominick

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

jurelometer

Quote from: Dominick on April 28, 2021, 11:42:38 PM
Quote from: jurelometer on April 28, 2021, 06:06:27 PM

-J

;D ;D ;D Dave, that is funny.  Dominick

I'm sure you remember the movie "The Producers".  The goal was to make a Broadway play that was so unacceptable that it would be a guaranteed failure.  Basically scamming the investors.

I think we should make a  jig name "The Producer"  where we print a warning to the halibut on it: "THIS IS NOT FOOD"  "WILL CAUSE INJURY"  "CALIFORNIA PROP 65 WARNING- MAY CONTAIN LEAD"

We will then have to report back to the investors that we  lost all of their money...

Oh well    8) 8) 8) 

-J

Dominick

"Spring time for Hitler and Germany."  ;D  We can name it Bitler.  Dominick