2nd 304

Started by jgp12000, April 27, 2021, 04:57:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jgp12000

I just got my second 304 on ebay, a lady's father had passed away and she had it for auction. He took very good care of the reel and I assured her I would as well. I do not like buying keepsakes like this without giving the seller the option to buy back if they ever regret selling it. I cleaned and lubed it and it was as smooth or smoother than my 1st 304.I mounted it on a new EC glass rod (made in china)I took the sticker off at least, they no longer have metal reel seats, but still have that classic look for the 304.I sprayed the cork with polyurethane and am about to try to catch something with it after it dries.  

thorhammer

I sent my 304 to Bryan a couple years ago, but i use those EC rods on my 408's. Great match for 20 bucks.

jgp12000

Where are you getting the EC rods now,I can't find them locally anymore.I got that one online at Blain's Farm and Fleet?
thank you,
James

thorhammer

Theres a little local shop near me in Va that has them, and I got a couple from Blain as well. Bass Pro also has some comparable yellow glas rods finished nicely in the same price range.

scrinch

At Fred's suggestion, I bought a bunch at a local Walmart for my DQs last year.

thorhammer

Yep. I have more rods than five walmarts these days....picked over and broken supply chain.

CincyDavid

Hey I recognize that rod!  My 204 rides around on one.  Perfect retro look.

handi2

I really like this those reels. Is that your property? It sure is nice.

I have a couple of parts reels if you want them.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

DON3099

Built this rod on a vintage 6 1/4' conolon blank, a few years ago.

DON3099

Built this rod on a vintage 6 1/2' conolon blank, a few years ago

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: DON3099 on January 31, 2023, 02:01:45 PMBuilt this rod on a vintage 6 1/4' conolon blank, a few years ago.
How do you like that grip? That's a fuji VSS with the cork sliding grip, right? I've been eyeballing one for a while but wasn't sure its worth it.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

jgp12000

THAT IS A GOOD LOOKIN ROD RIGHT THERE AND I LIKE THOSE GUIDES AS WELL. Yes sir Keith ,that is my backyard.

thorhammer

Hmm the ones I have still have the ring locking metal seat; nice vintage look but the hideaway downlock is better in hand IMO.

jgp12000

Walmart shows an EC combo on their website showing the metal seat fer $26.I am curious what they would ship,I believe the p/n doesn't match the picture though.I prefer and have some older rods with the metal seat.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/123304080

DON3099

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on January 31, 2023, 02:11:36 PM
Quote from: DON3099 on January 31, 2023, 02:01:45 PMBuilt this rod on a vintage 6 1/4' conolon blank, a few years ago.
How do you like that grip? That's a fuji VSS with the cork sliding grip, right? I've been eyeballing one for a while but wasn't sure its worth it.
I built a couple more, for 5' ul blanks. I do like the grop, BUT when tightening down on the reel, do so from the but end of the fore grip. I have cracked one.