Epoxy art

Started by JasonGotaProblem, May 03, 2021, 02:20:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

regular photo paper is too thick and stiff, you might have better luck with some sheet size sticker paper, its not that shiny but with the epoxy applied all the colors on any stickers have a more vivid shine.

I havent tried that out yet but you might want to do some tests on broken blanks first.
The Baja Guy

oldmanjoe

This is what i use spray adhesive .
And have a look at this , there is some great things to be seen.  https://www.facebook.com/groups/1610286019254936/
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

steelfish

thanks JOe, Im already a member there  ;D ;D

The Baja Guy

oldmanjoe

Cool          There is a nice write up on January 28 for the  G-URUSHI  Technique
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Breadfan

Quote from: JasonGotaPenn on May 20, 2021, 11:49:21 AM
I decided to go with a hubble pic. My hand is not steady enough to produce anything worthwhile on a canvas that narrow. I printed some black hole renderings as well, but again due to the small space none looked very good. I did 5 minute epoxy behind the photo and flex coat over it. The edges lifted a bit and that's really unfortunate. If i do this again I'd wrap it super tight with thread or mono while drying and leave it a lot longer before coating. I might even consider wrapping with mono and epoxying right over it. But other than that I'm really happy with the end result. The video doesnt show the guides but it's just a gold band on each.

Given that it's 5min epoxy behind, i may try warming it up, piping more epoxy into the gap, and then wrapping super tight and see if it holds.

A little late response but you could use either white nylon or silk wrapping thread. Both will turn clear when you apply the flexcoat so you can see right through it. Just wrap over it like any other wrap you do for guides, ect.

JasonGotaProblem

It's funny how time and increased skill changes opinions. I used to be super proud of this rod. Then i got better at building, and I started to be embarrassed of this early project. And frankly the fish didn't like it either. I've never caught anything but catfish on it, save for one lizard fish. So on many levels it's a failure.

But this is still by far the most expensive collection of components I've put into a build. And I realized frankly if I'm willing to put the time into stripping and refinishing a wallyworld rod, why am I too lazy to fix this?

So i stripped all the guides, cut off and sanded smooth the area where I sloppily glued on a printed picture. I dreaded doing it but with a bit of mild heat it was finished in under 20 minutes.

I redid the artwork (original Jason art this time) Guides are getting repositioned and rewrapped next.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.