What Took Me So Long?

Started by foakes, May 12, 2021, 03:36:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Around 25 years ago, I replaced an old set of snap-ring pliers that were worn out — with a pair from Harbor Freight (China).

Worked pretty much OK for all of this time — last few years, the ends are wearing out — and it generally takes more than one attempt to insert the snap ring when securing a bearing.  No big deal — I got used to the drill.  But it is never good to not have complete control of a snap ring when you have fresh paint and greasy fingers and parts involved.

Unlike a lot of our members — I use a pair of snap-ring (retainer clip) pliers a few times every day when doing reel work.

Looked at a decent new pair — e-Bay, Amazon, SnapOn, GearWrench, and others.

Many of the machinist pros recommended Channel-Lock.  Then I recalled that I have maybe a couple of dozen old Channel-Lock tools — many of which are likely 70 or 80 years old — and not one has ever worn out or failed.

Found this little 6" pair on WalMart.com for $26.75 plus tax, and free shipping that took 3 days.

Made in the U.S.A.!!

And, for those of us who have been around and used tools all of their lives — you just "know" when a new tool feels right —and is well thought out with solid materials — and no slop in the tolerances.

Comes with (5) sets of tips, an Allen wrench, and an extra set of Allen set screws.

With the flip of your thumb on the red lever — it switches from inner to outer operation for removal or inserting a snap ring.  No taking it apart and losing pieces — or slowing your job down by trying to find the other parts at the bottom of a tool box.  It just works — and feels good in your hand.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

MarkT

Channel locks are rock solid, made in USA and a good value.  I have lots of blue handled pliers!  I don't have any snap-ring pliers though, I've never needed them.  I guess I don't work on the stuff that the cool kids do!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

quabbin boy 62

i have a set like your red handled one, needed a better ( smaller tip) set for Penn 600 - 625 downriggers, i got a pair of channelocks like yours last winter to service my riggers, they work great! you'll likely enjoy yours too.  chuck

gstours

Thanks Fred,  I've broken some Snap on 🛠 tools,  and where I live you just put the price on " education budget ".   Craftsman had a good name as well,    Butt time marches on.   And
  I've never broke the blue handle Channels that lock.   🤷‍♂️     And I didn't know about the snap ring pliers.......... thanks for your post......

Tiddlerbasher

I used to have a cheapo pair - like the red handled ones in Fred's photo. The tips always seemd too thick for the circlips I encountered.
Now I use Knipex circlip pliers (internal and external) - Oh boy what a difference :)
I had a quick look at my pliers/cutters draw - the majority of tools are Knipex.
No more buy cheap buy twice ;)

Jenx

I saw these at Lowes today. It's another buying option for those who don't want to wait for shipping. Although they were a little pricier at $28 or $29.

Within the past week or two I decided to start buying some better quality tools to replace the cheap stuff. So far I have bought Wiha and Wera screwdrivers, and a couple of Knipex pliers.

Today, while shopping at Lowes, I grabbed a pair of Channellock pliers. Not sure if I have ever owned a Channellock tool before, but hard to pass on an American made. I haven't used it yet, but first impression is it feels cheap compared to my Knipex tools. Only time will tell, but I hope they are good. I wouldn't mind adding more American made tools to go with the German tools.

MarkT

The Knipex Cobra's are better than Channel Locks and the Plier Wrench are in a class by themselves although there are getting to be copies, they aren't as good. Channel Locks are real good and have been the standard for decades but if you can spend extra on the Knipex, they're worth it.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

foakes

I have a pair of Knipex wire cutters in my main electrical tool box.

It is one of the best tools I own.

But to me, knowing quality tools as most of us do — the Channel-Locks are light years ahead of the Harbor Freight ones that I replaced.  For a couple of snap rings a day — they feel great in my hand — and should stay the course pretty well, I think.

And they do work very well — as well as being a good value.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.