penn 9/0 drag upgrade

Started by Paolo, May 12, 2021, 04:16:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paolo

i dont know if its stainless steel. but its new senator from BAss Pro shop. So i think it might be stainless steel.

RowdyW

What you have is a L2 model made in China. It will have a brass gear sleeve & dog. It will also have a bronze main gear with a graphite half frame. Try fishing it as is after an initial preservice to make sure it is lubed properly & the drags are greased. Then if it does not meet your expectations then it's time to build a hotrod. That will give you time to see how it does & to put aside money for a stronger build. Sometimes the eyes are bigger than the fish on the line.  ;D I'm guessing but I think you are going to use this from the beach. Dig your heels into the sand and see how long you can hold the stock drag at full lockdown with half a spool of line on it. That's about the situation that you will be in when a monster runs with your bait. If you can hold that at least 5-10 minutes then maybe it's time for an upgrade. I'm not trying to discourage you, just telling you how it is.

Tiddlerbasher

Take a good look at the Installation instructions - there's an error :o

The washer with the white arrow should be eared NOT keyed.

Bryan Young

That's an old installation card. Very old. Is that still on the web?  I guess once in the web it's always on the web.

The metal washers are keyed, eared, keyed, eared, keyed, eared, and keyed.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Donnyboat

Hi Paolo, & welcome to the forum, these bloke are giving you the best advice, what line do you think you want to use on it, maybe braid with a mono top shot, & 5 M of wire trace, if you use 8 strand 100 Lbs braid on it you would get about 900 M on it, good luck, we want to see pics of the fish you catch, or it did not happen, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Paolo

Im using 1000yds of 100lb braid. And around 250yd of 80lb mono.

Paolo

Also i greased drag washers and it giiving me around 32 lb of drag for me its a good result. But now i tested it and i dont hear this click sound when i retrieveing a line. Can my reel live without it? Or something is wrong

Paolo

Im really dont planning to catch a big shark. Im upgrading just in case i need it because im fiahing in area when we have 8-10 ft sharks so i need 30-35 lb of drag. But i think 6ft blacktiph is enough

handi2

When I use the Carbontex drag washers I wipe all the grease off by rubbing them on a towel. Just like you would for a lever drag reel.

With the 7 stack I always get 50 lbs. of drag.

Keith

When assembling the dog and spring you can straighten the flat spring a little so it puts more pressure of the dog.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

thorhammer

You could use a six foot backtip for bait with that reel and a 7 stack.

Paolo

50lb on a penn 9/0 thats good. 7stack from Bryan Young, right?
Also i have no idea where to find stainless steel dog and sleeve

RowdyW

s/s gear sleeve from either Black Pearl or Cortez Conversions. s/s dog from Cotez Conversions or Smooth drag. Bryan's 7+1 stack from Mystic Reel Parts. All are members here and have their web sites listed on this forum.        Rudy

Paolo

Thank you for this info. I tried to find it on Mystic Parts

RowdyW

Go to Mystic site, go to conventional reels, go to Senator 115 L2 order parts, Go to drag washer section (numbers that start with 6,7, etc. There it is!!!

thorhammer

Mystic has it; it's near the bottom in the 115L2 parts listing, and fits the existing L2 handle.

If you plan to change handles make sure your sleeve and handle will fit each other.  The L2 type T handle doesn't fit old type C sleeves, etc.