Different colored Z-series handles

Started by Jenx, May 21, 2021, 03:53:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jenx

I've been laid up with a bad case of tackleitus. You know the symptoms: The sudden and constant need for more gear you don't need. This current bout has me collecting vintage spinning reels.

So I find myself with three recently acquired brown 720Z reels (Why do you need three?) And I was surprised to discover one had a different colored handle and spool. Two of the reels had the same light gold spools and handles, but the third one had a slightly darker spool, and a much darker bronze colored handle (seen in the photo below). For comparison sake a recently acquired 716z also has the light gold handle.

So what's the info on these darker handles? Where they from a different year? Specialty run? I'm liking the look of the darker handle.

Wompus Cat

Looks like the paint faded out on the lighter (Reel) on Left) on the Handle and the Body .
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Decker

18 karat on the left, 24 on the right  ;D

Jenx

Quote from: Wompus Cat on May 21, 2021, 06:02:04 PM
Looks like the paint faded out on the lighter (Reel) on Left) on the Handle and the Body .

The paint on the body of the two reels are the same shade. A shadow is just making one look darker than the other.

My first guess was maybe the darker gold handle was a shelf queen that wasn't exposed to the elements as much, but thought I'd ask anyways.

Cheers.

Bryan Young

The one on the left is newer than the one on the right.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Rancanfish

Penn gold has always varied.  Just look at two 965 / 955 / 970 side by side, you'll often see the same.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.