Bonnet-themed weekend

Started by JasonGotaProblem, June 01, 2021, 01:49:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonGotaProblem

My shimano spheros seems to only be happy with a bonnet head on the hook. Or maybe the bonnets out there think only that rig is worthy to bite. Either way that reel sees some shark action. Of all the bonnets I've ever landed, only one was on a different reel.

I'm told they're the best tasting shark, all they eat is shrimp and crabs, so it's believable. My wife keeps telling me to keep one, she's from Trinidad and fried shark is super popular down there. But for some dumb reason I feel bad about killing a shark, when I have no such reservations about any other fish category.

The shadows make the 2nd pic look bigger, I didn't measure but neither was over 3' to the fork.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

the rockfish ninja

I can understand the catch & release, such a cool looking creature.
Deadly Sebastes assassin.

oldmanjoe

???  Did you buy new Tupperware for the new house ?  8)   I have not tried bonnet yet but have done a few black tips ....  good eating ..
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Gfish

Try one, but save the fins. If you like it, try some more when you finish consuming each one but save the fins! Next, is shark fin soup!
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

sandbar

They are very tasty and plentiful here.

ReelFishingProblems

JasonGotaProblem

Well as of today, reds are back on the menu for us SW FL folks. Well, some of us. So hopefully I'll see one of them soon. Hopefully in the 18-27" range.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

steelfish

nice little fella'

so, 3' is a legal size to keep the shark?

The Baja Guy

oldmanjoe

Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Breadfan

Quote from: ReelFishingProblems on June 02, 2021, 12:23:18 AM
They are great eating.

I tried one once and it was awful, with an awful smell. Is there a special way of cleaning them?

oc1

They store urea in their muscle.  It's difficult to get it out.

philaroman

is that like bull sharks...  to store salt, for going well upstream of the salt line for extended periods?
maybe, that's where you gotta' catch 'em for food -- in barely-brackish/fresh inlets...  pre-rinsed of pee, LOL

Benni3

That had to be a blast in a kayak,,,,,,,, ;D

steelfish

Quote from: oldmanjoe on June 02, 2021, 02:31:02 AM
Yes in Florida waters .   https://myfwc.com/fishing/saltwater/recreational/sharks/

hmm I would never though that some sharks have no minimum size to be legal to keep

here in Mexico most of the "fish tacos" are made outta shark meat, some fancy restaurants use different fish for fish tacos as seabass or halibutt.

I used to eat fish tacos (shark) when kind, but in the last 15 years I only use the fish I caught so, my fish tacos now are made outta grouper, YT, seabass or spanish macks.

PS: if you ever what to try those bonnetsharks and you detect a high smell of urea, put the fillets in milk for 20-30 minutes before put your choice of flour or panko 
The Baja Guy

Breadfan

We seem to have an endless supply of them here in Florida ion the east coast. Some days it's just one after another.