Bonnet-themed weekend

Started by JasonGotaProblem, June 01, 2021, 01:49:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: Breadfan on June 23, 2021, 02:06:00 PM
We seem to have an endless supply of them here in Florida ion the east coast. Some days it's just one after another.
They aren't quite that plentiful here on the sunset side, but still quite common. And they seem to have a different reaction to atmospheric conditions than other fish, so they are biting on days when other fish are quiet. Which is very kind of them, the weekend that generated this thread woulda been a zero fish weekend without their intervention.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

newport

I remember my first bonnethead. I thought it was a "baby hammerhead shark"  :o

Now, I don't doubt bonnetheads are good eating. I'm sure they taste just fine. I'm just unsure if diet dictates palatability. Dogfish also eat a lot of crabs and shellfish, and they don't taste too good . . .

handi2

I eat Blackfin sharks when I catch the little ones off my dock.

The first thing to do is cut the belly open and flush it out with fresh water while it's still in the landing new. They are great and good for you.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: newport on July 13, 2021, 06:11:16 AM
I remember my first bonnethead. I thought it was a "baby hammerhead shark"  :o

Now, I don't doubt bonnetheads are good eating. I'm sure they taste just fine. I'm just unsure if diet dictates palatability. Dogfish also eat a lot of crabs and shellfish, and they don't taste too good . . .

Diet does affect the flavor of the fish, or really any animal. that seems settled. Ya know, the whole "you are what you eat" thing. But there are definitely other factors at play as well, because you're absolutely right. Snook, redfish, and sea trout all have very similar diets but taste completely different. Biology isn't really my thing, so I can't really give a better explanation.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

philaroman

I can  ;D
diet matters WITHIN THE RANGE OF FLAVOR FOR A GIVEN SPECIES
if it's generally tasty, better diet makes it excellent
if it's not table-worthy, better diet makes it better crap...  but, still crap

Gfish

Could be water quality has a bigger effect. Is it just my imagination, or do trout/salmon species taste better if they've been focused in crustacean consumption?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

philaroman

"water quality has a bigger effect" on what quantities can be consumed safely
you can't taste trace amounts of PCB's, mercury, etc.

freshly-stocked trout tastes like crap & smells like dogfood, in PA
hatchery pellets are formulated for maximum growth at minimum cost -- flavor is not a factor
first couple months after Fall stocking -- abundant, but NOT TABLE-WORTHY, IMHO
by mid-Feb, I'm lucky to get 2 or 3, BUT THEY HAVE "SHOULDERS" & their bellies are full of
"brown crunchy mess" that I assume to be mostly crustaceans & aquatic insects;
and pinkish/orangish flesh is DELICIOUS (early Fall stomach content is mostly corn & PowerBait)