San Diego Rod from Way Back In Time

Started by Classic Mako, June 09, 2021, 10:18:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oc1

Finding the dry cane is difficult, but try finding the living plant.  Sid, who used to hang around here, had some growing in South Florida but I don't how it turned out.

Classic Mako

They source from several manufacturers in China, Taiwan, South Korea, North Africa and USA.

Most of the blanks are designed by the in hours engineering team at the Batson Headquarters in Sequim, WA.   Products are built to the Batson Specs.

I think Batson owns the blank mandrels. 

But I do not know if they have a "Lockup" on their products.

A lot of rod builder suppliers sell the Batson products, as Batson only sells to dealers.   

Maybe I can ask a question or two and find out. 

I do know that the Batson Engineers make regular visits to the production facilities offshore to ensure quality is upheld.

oc1

Classic Mako

Batson is a major importer and whole seller to the industry, and sells to a lot of commercial builders.

That high class top brand name fly rod or spinning rod some one paid a bundle for may be on a Batson blank, I will not mention brand names for fear of suicide.   

Batson's main advantage is a great engineering team.   Over 500 blanks in their world.    If you cannot find a Rainshadow blank for your custom needs, then another sport like golf is in order.

The one in the lathe below is Tuna jigging blank, 40 to 80 pound line rating, 6 to 10 oz lure rating.   A composite blend with a E Glass tip.  8 feet long one piece.   I will use it for Halibut Jigging with 8 to 10 ounce jigs here in the  Straits of Juan de Fuca.

I will post some completed pics, it is in the dryer now curing the finish.  I will start another thread.

gstours

Thanks for sharing your pictures and thoughts about what you are working on.
   You rebuild is very professional, I'm sure you're not a novice builder as your entire shop is so well organized.    It's something that most of us just dream of.    Thanks again.