Lines for Bakelite Spools

Started by Paul Roberts, June 16, 2021, 05:48:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Roberts

Are modern PE lines OK for vintage Bakelite spools on conventional surf reels? How about monos? And what do you like for backing, if needed? Thanks!

oc1

You can put Spectra braid or dacron on any reel because they do not stretch.  With nylon you have to be careful.  Mono and braided nylon stretches a lot and can built up so much pressure when wound tightly that the spool flanges bow out and rub the frame.  Using a Spectra or dacron line with a mono top mono top shot is not a problem.  

Paul Roberts

Tiddlerbasher

X2 what Steve said - to tie braid to the spool use a 5 or 6 turn Arbor knot, leaving a long tag. It will not slip ;)

Paul Roberts

Thanks, Tb.

I guess I should be asking about the strength/durability of various reels -spool, spool shafts, frame,... . With PE lines, diameter is the deciding factor. Say I have a bakelite, Penn 80/85 or an OC version... Would it be risky putting 40 or 50# PE braid on such a reel?

oc1

Quote from: Paul Roberts on July 02, 2021, 04:34:38 PM
Would it be risky putting 40 or 50# PE braid on such a reel?
It won't hurt, but the reel is going to hold much more line than you need.  They were designed for 20# mono which is equivalent diameter to about 65# Spectra.