Fun Day with Halibut

Started by Hardy Boy, June 17, 2021, 04:18:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whalebreath

QuoteThe cardio workout that some folks go through on some other styles of vertical jigging  is somewhere between tragic and comical.
Makes for good video though-the narrator's voice strains as he awaits The Monster

Ron Jones

I hung a 1000 gram Norwegian jig tipped with salmon belly 15 cranks off the bottom and put the rod in the rod holder to help Ted with his fish, came back to a 20ish halibut making the tip dance. The swell is enough to make a Norwegian work. I'm taking a couple on the SOA.

The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

gstours

Yes, like " the man" said,  if the boat has a side to side rock,  we get many fish with jigs just off the bottom having a rod in the rod holder,  butt many of the strikes fail to stay hooked.  Setting down a snack and coming out of the house only helps about half of the time.🤷‍♂️.   
  Jigs for our halibut can out fish bait some days.   Heavy jigs are less fun......🎣

Hardy Boy

Fathers day was one of the days when the jigs were not hot, only one fish ............... butt the bait rods were working. Managed 5 halibut 22 to 35 with a solid 30 lb average. Beers, butts and cigars for fathers day and one small spring.

Cheers;

Todd
Todd

scrinch

Good eatin' size fish! Looks like a beautiful Sunday on the water, Todd.

Hardy Boy

Well I'll add to this. A buddy was up for a few days but the weather was way to windy to go far afield and chase halibut so we stuck local and had only the mornings to fish before the wind really came up. Three mornings and three limits of nice springs plus numerous releases. Two mornings we only fished a couple of hours. The limit is only one per day right now but they were a nice grade of fish from 16 to 22 lbs and all nice and fat and good eating as we ate most of one already. Total fuel burned for three mornings was 9 gallons.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

Maxed Out

Nice going Todd. We're you fishing "the wall" just outside the harbor ??  Last time I was up there we caught some nice kings there and also got close-up view of a huge pod of Orcas that did thier own fishing at the wall
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Hardy Boy

Ted: yes a 5 min run. Further isn't always better.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

Gobi King

Good Fishing! 1 fish limit, wow,
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Hardy Boy

It could be worse. We have it better than parts of Alaska when it comes to chinook. We still have lots of other species to chase. Just nice to get a few springs in the freezer before the season winds down. We have a winter chinook fishery also but they are a smaller grade of fish with a limit of two per day. Just North of us you can keep two but its a bit of a run. I'm happy to fish local burn no fuel and head in early.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

scrinch

Nice fish, Todd. You're lucky to have that fishery right in your backyard.