Best knot for braid to swivel on leader

Started by RUSTY OLD COLT, June 20, 2021, 12:29:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkT

What knot have you been using that's slipping?  Try adding more turns and see if it holds then.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

RUSTY OLD COLT

I have tried the palomar and had poor results after a few seabass it seamed to just come apart under load. Tried the clinch knot today with 8 turns ,I usually did 5 or 6 and even with double header  3 -4 pound seabags it held up fine ...Thanks for the help guys

oc1

RowdyW

To stop line twist while trolling, in a current,  using spoons & twisting lures especially with spinning reels, quick change (snap swivels) of lures, drop lines, rigged baits, & leaders among other uses. The list can go on & on.......& on.

oc1

Quote from: RowdyW on June 27, 2021, 06:49:18 AM
To stop line twist while trolling, in a current,  using spoons & twisting lures especially with spinning reels, quick change (snap swivels) of lures, drop lines, rigged baits, & leaders among other uses. The list can go on & on.......& on.
He is fluke fishing.  I don't know about fluke fishing but I know about flounder fishing and would never use a swivel.  It's just something else to snag.

Spinning reels twist the line on the cast, and untwist the line on the retrieve. 

Barrel swivels do not do much swiveling anyway.  Need ball bearings.

RowdyW

I'd worry more about the sinker or hook snagging then the swivel. The swivel would be above the leader & nowhere near the bottom. I used to fish for flounder in an inlet with the tide running in & out which caused line twist if you didn't use a swivel especially when using a spinning reel. Swivels aren't neccessary when using a stick & string.  :D

oc1

Swivels have weight.  They try to sink to the bottom and pull your line and leader down with it. 

Fishing on rough bottom you want the jig to land lightly on the bottom and then jump up (more or less) when you give it a twitch.  The only reason the jig can jump up and not be jerked sideways is because the line and leader are acting like a parachute.  They have a lower density and are sinking more slowly than the jig.  A swivel screws it all up.,