Well used 1202

Started by Midway Tommy, June 25, 2021, 12:25:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Midway Tommy

I was surprised this beat up & well used 1202 without a box & manual brought over $70 with shipping & sales tax.   :o  ::)  
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

foakes

Don't be too surprised, Tom —

I have paid over $100 for 1202's in slightly better condition than that one.

Then I resell them for a modest profit.

I was an active bidder on this one also — but didn't want to go over $55, or so, plus shipping and tax.  Next guy had an automatic bid that topped mine by a buck.

Glad these 1202's are getting the attention they deserve.  They have (like most Quicks) been undervalued for far too long.

It is a fairly rare and extremely well made reel that fits a niche that few other reels do.

Anglers and collectors are finally waking up.

IMO...

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mo65

When I first started collecting reels...fleabay had pages of the earlier Finessa series Quicks...but you rarely saw a Champion series model listed. I think the hustlers have caught on, as there are now quite a few listed. I think the Alan Hawk review of the 5001 was most responsible for opening a lot of eyes. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

philaroman

just from 1 photo, looks well-used but NOT beat-up
except for "sun-aged" spool lookin' ratty

foakes

Quote from: mo65 on June 25, 2021, 02:06:28 PM
   When I first started collecting reels...fleabay had pages of the earlier Finessa series Quicks...but you rarely saw a Champion series model listed. I think the hustlers have caught on, as there are now quite a few listed. I think the Alan Hawk review of the 5001 was most responsible for opening a lot of eyes. 8) [/color

Mike is right on these DQ Champion Series spinning reels —

There are (16) reels in this series that are very worthwhile — as very capable and tough reels.

1000, 1400, 2000, 3000, 4000, 5000

1001, 1401, 2001, 3001, 4001, 5001 High Speed 1:4, 5001 1:2.5

1202, 2002, 3002

A DQ 1202 reel in the condition like Tommy showed us —

Would only need a full disassembly, cleaning, and service — to be fishable for another 3 decades.

What I would do, in addition to servicing on this reel —

Swap out the frame housing for a new one, replace the bail spacer, install a new bail spring, and rub a little Penetrol on the Carbon spool, install new drag.

I would then toss the old frame in the bin to be stripped and powder-coated in the next future batch.

That is generally more than needs to be done — but that brings it to sharp, detailed, and ready to fish.

You guys really need to take one of these apart to see what I am talking about — then you will be able to judge for yourselves.

These reels have been sleepers — and still are to a certain extent — but they are starting to awake.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Midway Tommy

Most of us aren't as fortunate as you, Fred.  ;) We don't have a lifetime supply of parts sitting around to make them like new again.  ;D Parts are near impossible to find for those things, just ask me. I searched for at least three years for a couple of parts for the spring loaded handle for that 2001 to no avail until you picked up a few OS and so generously helped me out.  8) Now you're even more flush with those parts. BTW, thanks again!   :)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

foakes

I am just the temporary caretaker of these parts, Tom —

And, as always, am more than happy to help out members who might need parts.

At the time I gave you that part — I took it off of another reel.  Because I did not have that inventory available.  I thought that I could somehow replace it in the future to make my reel whole again — and if not, no big deal — better to help out a fellow member and friend.  I am always glad and willing to help our members whenever possible. 

Now, I likely have hundreds of that same part.

It all comes full circle with trying to be patient.  But patience only goes so far — most often, I have found it takes perseverance and digging to find these parts, plus a little luck.

And that 1202 really only needs a basic service and a spool up of line to be fishable for another 20 years.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

Paul Roberts

I had one. Bought it new in mid 80s. Was greatly impressed by it... except that it had too small a spool for that robust, bulletproof, and heavy, gear package. I held onto it for years and finally sold it a good decade ago, scarcely used. Don't remember what I got for it. ~$70 I think.

foakes

Quote from: Paul Roberts on July 04, 2021, 02:04:28 AM
I had one. Bought it new in mid 80s. Was greatly impressed by it... except that it had too small a spool for that robust, bulletproof, and heavy, gear package. I held onto it for years and finally sold it a good decade ago, scarcely used. Don't remember what I got for it. ~$70 I think.

The idea is to have an overbuilt frame and gears for fishing the spool. 

There are hopefully times when we are fishing a lightweight reel like this — and while we know about the size of fish we will catch 95% of the time — there is always the chance to hook the fish of a lifetime — or at least one way above average.  This reel will land that fish.

This 1202 has a spool that holds 175 yards of 8 pound mono.

We can step up to a 1401 — and it is just very slightly larger — and the spool holds 200 yards of 8 pound mono.

For me, and my type of fishing — 175 yards is more than I need.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

Paul Roberts

One of the things I look for in a spinning reel is spool diameter, both for casting and retrieve speed efficiency. Seems the 1202, and the 110's, have a ~2000 size gear package and a down-sized spool. The 110's I would love to have but... have been put off by the spool/gear pkg sizes. Never held one though so I don't know what they are really like. I've especially appreciated the overbuilt nature of the DAM Quick's for larger reels. So far I own a 331N, 441N, 550N, and a Super 270.

DougK

I've been looking for that or the 1001, they typically go for about $80-90 if beat up, well into the hundreds in good condition..
$70 is a steal in fact ;-)

foakes

1000, 1001, 1202 — and all other DAM Quicks are in my inventory — and all are for sale at more than fair prices.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

sandbar

Hello Fred,
What is the size difference between a 1202 and a 1401. Same size body, smaller spool?
I've been looking for a pretty 1202 if I can ever find one.
Please send me a price on a pretty one if you have one.
I'll see if I can afford it.
-Steve

Midway Tommy

Quote from: DougK on July 28, 2021, 06:03:05 PM
I've been looking for that or the 1001, they typically go for about $80-90 if beat up, well into the hundreds in good condition..

Each person has their own mind set as to what they think is a good deal, or are willing to spend. Me? It takes a special example for me to fork out over $40 for just about any used spinning reel unless it is in mint or new condition and includes its box.   

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

foakes

Quote from: Midway Tommy on July 28, 2021, 10:03:15 PM
Quote from: DougK on July 28, 2021, 06:03:05 PM

Each person has their own mind set as to what they think is a good deal, or are willing to spend. Me? It takes a special example for me to fork out over $40 for just about any used spinning reel unless it is in mint or new condition and includes its box.  

Hey, Tommy —

Everyone likes a bargain or a steal...

But how many of your reels would you sell for $40 - $60 - $80 - $100 — even without the box?

You have one of the nicest collections around anywhere.

However, the times they are a changin'.

And...you know very well what your reels are worth!

What we might have thought was worth $40 — someone else is willing to pay 2 or 3 times that amount for today.

That is not an opinion — it is what folks are willing to pay for quality, vintage, usable spinning reels from the 60's through the late 80's — providing they are a good, solid brand — and parts are available when needed.

;D ;D ;D

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.