Good first baitcaster

Started by JasonGotaProblem, July 02, 2021, 01:05:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonGotaProblem

What would be a good first baitcaster for a fella like myself who has so far only fished spinners? I want something user friendly, and I don't wanna spend a ton on it in case I hate it.

I was looking at one of those Abu garcia blackmax reels at wallyworld. Figure $40 isn't a crazy amount to spend on a maybe. Are those terrible? Are there any other user friendly sideways reels that don't cost an arm and a leg?
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

thorhammer

Low profile may be a bit easier to cast but I'd go with a round 5000 size ABU. Parts and upgrades always available. I have several dozen, and to this day my favorite bass reel (also good for flounder, pompano, drum etc) is a 1972 5500C.

John

RC4600

I would step up & look at the Abu orra sx, much better quality & very user friendly + SW ok. Not much more $ if you check sales & the bay. RC

RC4600

Guess I should have mentioned I have had one for several years and no problems + really like it's performance day in and day out (in SW too boot). RC

Keta

For a first "normal" reel the one you are considering would work and you will not be out a lot of money if it does not work out for you.  There are much better reels but you can upgrade later.  I have ABU C3 and C4 reels for freshwater salmon bit prefer Shimano Calcutta and Curado reels for salmon and steelhead.  

A tip on learning how to cast, saving line and frustration, is to pull off a bit more line than you are going to cast and taping the line on the spool.  WHEN you backlash it will be shallow and easier to untangle.

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

MarkT

I'd get an old green Curado 200 and call it good!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

thorhammer

Maybe worst move ever by the bikemaker to disco green Curado. The bass guys loved them.

A few Abu's, and some candy for Lee and Keith (Lee will spy the 50's, and Keith, the 488's).

nelz

Never been a fan of low profile reels, but spotted this Cadence CB6 in a garage sale for $4, it just needed a clean & tune-up, good as new.

After using it I'm still not a fan of the whole low profile bass outfit configuration, but I gave it a shot. It's pictured here with a nice Florida Peacock. The St Croix rod was another bargain, btw.

The reel itself is pretty decent, lots of high end features. They're pretty reasonably priced new as well, but can't speak for parts/support, as they have never answered my emails.

Btw, I'm with John on the Abu 5500C, awesome little reel.

philaroman

STOP!!!  BORROW BEFORE YOU BUY,
to figure out if you need L/H or R/H
ya can't switch 'em, like spinners!!!

Quote from: MarkT on July 02, 2021, 02:43:44 PM
I'd get an old green Curado 200 and call it good!

Quote from: thorhammer on July 02, 2021, 03:10:52 PM
Maybe worst move ever by the bikemaker to disco green Curado. The bass guys loved them.

agree in principle, but because such advice is common for lo-pro seekers, they're still pricey
the equivalent JDM burgundy Scorpions are even BETTER-MADE, yet can be found cheaper 'cause they ain't green ???
Curado used to "win-out" because of parts/service availability, but now it's all equally "unsupported"
(Scorp. 1000/1500 = CU-100/200; all lefty models end "01")

Gfish

If possible, some pre-ownership tests would be ideal, IMO. For example, there's 3 spool cast control options; friction, magnetic and centrifugal. A few have all 3 on them. I like centrifugal + friction and was thinking of John's Abu 5000 suggestion before I finished reading your first post on this thread. It's a well made old standard and there's a lot of them available as well as parts and upgrades.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

philaroman

if you like the old, simple, all-metal bulletproof Lew's/Shimano, but not the price
some oldest Ryobi (V-Mag, etc.) are very similar & can still be found cheap
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=Ryobi+V-MAG&norover=1&mkrid=711-34000-13078-0&mkcid=2&keyword=Ryobi+V-MAG&crlp=_&MT_ID=&geo_id=&rlsatarget=kwd-76759694193075%3Aloc-190&adpos=&device=c&mktype=&loc=95406&poi=&abcId=&cmpgn=301063549&sitelnk=&adgroupid=1228154532051939&network=o&matchtype=e&msclkid=87e2d407ff4616b914c5b4d8b84cb2ff&ul_noapp=true&_sop=15&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1

also, LEFTY Daiwa TD-S, TD-X, TD-Z(still, exp.) are essentially designed for right-handed anglers,
who want to keep their best hand on their rod  ;D

steelfish

Quote from: JasonGotaPenn on July 02, 2021, 01:05:48 PM
What would be a good first baitcaster for a fella like myself who has so far only fished spinners? I want something user friendly, and I don't wanna spend a ton on it in case I hate it.

I was looking at one of those Abu garcia blackmax reels at wallyworld. Figure $40 isn't a crazy amount to spend on a maybe. Are those terrible? Are there any other user friendly sideways reels that don't cost an arm and a leg?

careful, you might end loving the lowprofile reels and get into a whole new rabbit hole and soon you will need another batch of new custom rods (been there done that).

for me the switch from the easy peacy spinner reels to the round baitcasters or lowprofile reels is like going from an automatic car to an standar one, one is just too easy to use and offer no worries at all not a bad thing of course, but the other one put more senses to work on everycast, you learn how to adjust the cast control magnetics or centrifugal depending the wind or your lure weight and you put the lure almost on the exact place you want to cast it, in short it makes your fishing day more fun even if you dont catch any fish.

as well as many here I love abu garcia reels, I have some round reels and low profile ones too, the green curado e7 is the greatest reel from shimano get one if you can find one, but for a first baitcaster you might have way too many options depending on your wallet.

that abu black max is a great beginner reel, but you also have some chinnese reels that cost a little bit more but have the specs of $100 to $150 reels from daiwa, shimano or abu, as the Kastking or Piscifun reels, you can check those out too.

I have seen you are more into UL or really light fishing style, budget low profile reels might not be that good casting 1/8 lures as you do it with an spinner reel, so if you want to cast really light lures then you must get a nice low profile reel that is known for that job or you might end up getting a birdnest after another.

UL fishing with low profile reels have its own style know as BFS (baitcaster finesse system) but those are really expensive reels that you dont want as 1st baitcaster reel.

now my spinners reels are used by my daughter and wife but now my 11yo is learning to cast with an abu garcia revo sx with the cast control cap a bit tight.

The Baja Guy

philaroman

good points ^^^^^^    for BFS, double-check this:
pretty sure older Daiwa 105-size is the narrow, while 103-size is the standard
a bit counter-intuitive & less obvious than Shimano 50 vs. 100
might be easier to find a Daiwa bargain w/ full model# only in photo -- not in title

handi2

You will want a left hand retrieve. I have to because I grew up using spinners. Why cast with one hand then switch the rod over to the other to fish? I can't work a rod with my left hand.

I use magnetic cast control. I thing they are easier. I'm still not very good at it.

I also pull off the amount of line that I can cast them add a piece of tape. This will stop the backlash from going too deep. When you get better just move the tape.

Keith

Just PM me your address and I will send you one. I have a bunch.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

oc1

If someone asked you what would be a good first spinner what would say?  There's a gazillion choices and reels for every budget.

Shimano Curado 70XG or Bantam 100.