Another DAM 550N AR Problem: Solved!

Started by Paul Roberts, July 04, 2021, 02:39:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Roberts

Picked up a 550N in VGC, appearing almost new. Obviously a late model having a plastic "ratchet wheel". Didn't know DAM did plastic! The AR, however, was not engaging. A common problem for the N's from what I hear. I have a 441N that also has this problem, the dog and inside of the rotor worn.

This 550N, though, did not look like it was fished much. And it didn't look like it had been serviced. The screw heads were perfect. I had trouble removing the side plate. At first, I wondered if a previous owner had sealed it/glued it shut. Maybe a surf fishing guy? But the reel had no such street cred/crud on it. Too clean. The side plate seam was as though it had never been opened. I actually made one of the few chips in the paint getting a small screwdriver blade through that seam. :( With some prying it popped off -across the floor!

On to the AR mechanism, I found it pretty close to pristine. But, inspecting the dog I found the action or travel of the dog -a lot of play. The dog did not spring into place far enough to catch the teeth in the rotor. The spring seemed OK. So, I dismantled it and cleaned, burnished, and oiled the dog and its post and... Voila! :)

foakes

Great job, Paul!

The tolerances are so exact on these — and do not degrade tolerance even after 40 years due to the best materials available that work well together — that all they generally need is a good burnishing of all parts, polishing, and slight lubrication.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Wompus Cat

Fred pointed out the Function of this lil  Triangle Spring a while back that can help things too.

If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Paul Roberts

Thanks, Fred. Sure is nice to solve a problem and get a reel back to business. More potential happiness in the world! :)

I recently started 'collecting' up old reels, and have been especially enjoying the direct-drive reels. I hear so many comments that these old reels do not cast well, if at all. But by taking them down, cleaning burnishing the important parts, and lubing appropriately, they all cast very well. And they are such beautiful little machines.

Henry, thanks! I didn't know that. Great to know.