JA Coxe Schematics?

Started by Paul Roberts, July 05, 2021, 02:55:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Roberts

Can't seem to find Coxe schematics. Looking for the 325 presently. Found one on ORCA, but it's generic and doesn't show the AR pawl spring well. Yeah, it popped off and I'll have to figure out how it's oriented.

Wompus Cat

Here is a pic of how it works. If it helps.
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Paul Roberts

Thanks, WC. Heck, I might as well just PM you direct. :)

I actually figured it out. The spring in mine is different though. Straighter and very slight. Makes me wonder if it wasn't homemade?

foakes

Quote from: Paul Roberts on July 05, 2021, 03:33:50 PM

Hey Paul —

You can email or PM Henry directly — he won't mind.

However, no one else will benefit from your good work and the research involved in figuring out these reel questions and puzzles — if it is not posted publicly.  Plus, these research projects spark others to contribute and go in different directions that once again — are useful to everyone globally.

One thing to remember — the Alan Tani site is the largest one in the world for reel repair, servicing, upgrading, and quality information about tackle and particularly reels.  And Alan's site never receives — and never will receive any advertising income.  Plus it is professional grade information that is freely shared at no cost to join.

There is an accepted and unspoken manner of policy — that the information on the AT site is freely shared with all.

Sure glad you came on board!

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Wompus Cat

I actually figured it out. The spring in mine is different though. Straighter and very slight. Makes me wonder if it wasn't homemade?

You have an Early J.A. Coxe Reel as it is Brass . Mine is one of the Last being stainless and your spring I think  is proper .
Would like to see the side plates and Foot on your Reel .
Post some pix of the finished REEL .

Paul Roberts

Quote from: foakes on July 05, 2021, 03:51:42 PM

Hey Paul —

You can email or PM Henry directly — he won't mind.

However, no one else will benefit from your good work and the research involved in figuring out these reel questions and puzzles — if it is not posted publicly.  Plus, these research projects spark others to contribute and go in different directions that once again — are useful to everyone globally.

One thing to remember — the Alan Tani site is the largest one in the world for reel repair, servicing, upgrading, and quality information about tackle and particularly reels.  And Alan's site never receives — and never will receive any advertising income.  Plus it is professional grade information that is freely shared at no cost to join.

There is an accepted and unspoken manner of policy — that the information on the AT site is freely shared with all.

Sure glad you came on board!

Best, Fred
Hi, Fred. No worries. That was a joke. Henry has been responding so quickly, and helpfully, to my seemingly obscure questions that I joked I should just go direct! :) I appreciate, and will continue to participate in the information exchange on this site. I began my "old reel" penchant on ORCA's Reel Talk board and have contributed freely there as I've worked my way through a bunch of DD freshwater reels, and some spinners too. My wife and I are moving soon and it looks as though there will be some saltwater in our future. So, I've started picking up, and learning about, saltwater reels. Thanks for the welcome!

Quote from: Wompus Cat on July 05, 2021, 03:57:30 PM

You have an Early J.A. Coxe Reel as it is Brass . Mine is one of the Last being stainless and your spring I think  is proper .
Would like to see the side plates and Foot on your Reel .
Post some pix of the finished REEL .

Thanks. Yes, it says "325L" on the foot, but has a 325 spool (aluminum I believe). I took the reel down and did the work, but the pawl spring was crushed at the end and gave way as I reset it. It's a very slight spring, of very thin wire. I tried modifying it but its not working out. So, I'll see if I can make one. The closest thing I find to the proper shape is a Mitchell 408 pawl spring(!). Can't tell it's size though, on-line. Wish me luck!

Wompus Cat

Your 325L was made by BRONSON me thinks .I might have a spring.
Will let you know tomorrow .

oc1

When I need a spring like that, I take it to the tackle shop and find a coil of stainless leader wire of the same diameter.  I don't use leader wire for fishing but it comes in handy for assorted projects.

Paul Roberts

Ah! That's a great idea. Funny how it's easy to overlook things. Right now my fishing stuff is all packed away into storage for our upcoming move. AOK. Good to know I have some that should work.

That said, and thanks to Henry too, but the shortened spring now seems to be holding. But there's something up within the bridge, possibly the pinion gear, that makes a racket when the spool is spun in freespool with the reel tipped even slightly toward the handle side. This may be worn bushings as this reel shows some serious use.

I don't want to pull you guys into this one further. I'll play with it further to see if I can at least ID the issue. I'm curious of course, and hate to see a possibly good reel shelved. But this one might end up as a parts reel.