Thinning Reel Grease

Started by bhamlin52, July 13, 2021, 03:03:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bhamlin52

I've read where people are thinning Yamaha Marine Grease with CorrosionX.

Why would you do this?

What circumstance's would warrant a thinner grease?

Midway Tommy

When you want a little more free movement and a little less restriction. It also helps free things up in cold weather environments.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

foakes

Like a Chef — Lubrication recipes can be varied to suit the intended usage.

If fishing the salt with a conventional or a HD spinning reel — mostly 100% Yamaha Marine grease for nearly everything.

Gears, bearings, eccentric, jacks, yokes, screws, under the rings, etc.  Exceptions where oil is used would be the A/R dog, spring, sleeve, level wind if so equipped, and crank knob.

If fishing HD fresh water with large spinners — grease for gears and bearings.  Oil or a blend of 2/3 grease and 1/3 oil.

If fishing medium to light freshwater — generally a blend of 1/2 Cal's Purple to 1/2 synthetic oil works really well.  It is more expensive than Yamaha Marine — but the results, performance, long-lasting adherence, easy wash-out with lacquer thinner when servicing, and non-stiffness particularly in cold conditions — are worth it to me and my clients.

It mixes well, doesn't separate over time, and offers smooth as glass performance as well as protection.

Everyone does lubes a little differently — this is just what works for me as reels come off the bench and go back to anglers.

So to answer your original question — oil is used to thin out heavy grease for better overall performance — with particular attention paid to temperature and weather conditions.

I have clients who fish primarily Fall & Winter — and others who fish the colder regions of BC, Ontario, the Yukon, etc. They like the mix of Cal's Purple and WRL191S Synthetic oil for their reels.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

bhamlin52

Where do you purchase WRL191S Synthetic oil?

foakes

It is used in hundreds of Heavy Duty Industrial applications by the government, military, maritime marine, utility, and manufacturing companies.

Wire Rope Lubricant —

https://www.jaymors.com/about-jaymors/

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

bhamlin52

Quote from: foakes on July 13, 2021, 10:39:36 PM
It is used in hundreds of Heavy Duty Industrial applications by the government, military, maritime marine, utility, and manufacturing companies.

Wire Rope Lubricant —

Best, Fred

Holy crap that's expensive.

foakes

Quote from: bhamlin52 on July 14, 2021, 12:47:48 AM
Quote from: foakes on July 13, 2021, 10:39:36 PM

Wire Rope Lubricant —

Best, Fred

Holy crap that's expensive.

Yes, however it just flat out works better than any oil I have ever used — and I have used them all.

Sometimes, it is worth it to spend a little more to get a solid result that performs, lasts well, washes out when the next service comes around, and is as smooth as butter — and salt resistant.

At least for me...

When the reels leave the bench — they are as good as I would want them to be if fishing them myself.

I have used WRL191S on multiple thousands of reels — never an issue, a comeback, or any drying out when used and stored over the years.

Again...it just works.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

handi2

It's a lot cheaper than a gallon of CorrosionX. When my CorrosionX gallon runs out I will switch to this.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

jgp12000

I am a newbie but have already discovered the Yamaha Marine Blue grease doesn't work well with Mitchell's, and it seems to thicken in colder weather. I have tried thinning with Corrosion X to no avail.3 in 1 oil works good but will leak out and get messy. I prefer "Reel Butter" except for the price. I have some Super lube coming today it sounds great and cheap.

Midway Tommy

Quote from: jgp12000 on August 17, 2021, 11:11:42 AM
I am a newbie but have already discovered the Yamaha Marine Blue grease doesn't work well with Mitchell's, and it seems to thicken in colder weather. I have tried thinning with Corrosion X to no avail.3 in 1 oil works good but will leak out and get messy. I prefer "Reel Butter" except for the price. I have some Super lube coming today it sounds great and cheap.

I occasionally thin SuperLube with a light drop of oil in certain places, maybe in an open ball bearing, etc., depending what I'm trying to accomplish. It doesn't really need thinning on spinning reels, though.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)