Pflueger 1988

Started by Paul Roberts, July 23, 2021, 12:29:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Roberts

Picked up a 1988 ("250yd") Capitol listed as "unused". Not many 60+yr old reels could fairly be called "unused". I say 60+ bc the Capitols were apparently made to at least 1960. Here's how it looked "as I found it" when I opened the package. It looks to be true -essentially unused. The reel foot has a single horizontal scuff. The spool has no corrosion or signs it had line on it, at least for very long. The only corrosion are some spots on the lowest pillars, indicating that they likely had some salt spray on them. Otherwise the chrome looks... new! The screws look untouched. The knobs are untarnished. The drag feels new. The surface of the plastic handle knob is still shiny new. How could this be? Taken fishing...once, then washed off and put on a shelf in the attic for the ensuing decades?

Unlike the 1985's I have, the reel foot on this 1988 looks to be machined from a single piece of aluminum; Very sturdy stand. The Bakelite plates are virtually unscratched! I thought a later model, which I assume this one is, would have side-plates of some kind of plastic. But the "1960+" repair manual available through ORCA lists these parts as Bakelite.

Popping it open, it looks new inside too, essentially dry with a small amount of stiff brown, likely factory, grease. It'll be fun to clean, burnish, and lube it. All I can say is... Wow!

oldmanjoe

:(  Poor fishing reel does not have any stories to tell...            Nice find !!!
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Crow

Yeah,there can't be many, in that shape, still around !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Wompus Cat

Very NICE Paul .
Where you coming up with all these GEMS  ;D
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Paul Roberts

Quote from: oldmanjoe on July 23, 2021, 01:10:54 AM
:(  Poor fishing reel does not have any stories to tell...            Nice find !!!
No! Sad isn't it. That's why I bought it. Couldn't stand it sitting there glistening like that! I hope to rectify that. And it's got at least a hundred more years in it I'm sure. :)

Quote from: Crow on July 23, 2021, 01:18:22 AM
  Yeah,there can't be many, in that shape, still around !
No. But, the Capitols I've bought so far, and for not a lot of money, have all been in VGC, although some have needed a part or two. I think they are just well built.

Quote from: Wompus Cat on July 23, 2021, 02:39:43 AM
Very NICE Paul .
Where you coming up with all these GEMS  ;D
It's my secret auction site. (Begins with "E".)

oc1

Handsome reel.  Really nice stand.

The Great Maudu

Here's a 1985, 1988 and a 1989 with nary a scratch. I don't fish these but I do fish lesser examples in the salt. Great reels and really well made.

thorhammer

Mike! Where you been hiding!!??? Then you pop out of the blue with this really nice stand of reels! I have a few on a shelf I need to buff up- look like really well-made reels.

John

Paul Roberts

Oh Great Maudu! (Love the handle.) Very nice trio! I almost added an '89 to the lot but refrained bc j couldn't justify that one to my wife. :)) Yes these are solid reels, and pretty too. I'm new to SW reels so I'm intrigued with their functionality. How will they cast? And handle fish? It'll be a bit yet before I get to dive in. Thanks for posting yours. Cheers, Paul

The Great Maudu

Paul, I use a 1985 mounted on a bamboo rod for surf casting. It casts as well as a squidder or conventional Abu. The 1988 and 1989 I use for trolling. They can handle 30-50 pound fish. Just rinse well after using and they'll serve you well.

Thorhammer, good to hear from you. I've been busy with other things but I check in from time to time.