What is the function of this part in a Cardinal 4?

Started by Catching Nemo, July 23, 2021, 12:35:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Catching Nemo

What is the purpose of this washer/spring under the drag knob of a Cardinal?  In my project reel, this part is rusted/broken.  If it is a "must-have" component for proper functioning, then maybe I can fashion a short coil of spring wire under the knob to perform the same function (whatever that function may be...)?

Wompus Cat

It is for the Anti Reverse lever .

If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

philaroman

I think he means the spring under drag knob -- not the A/R switch
in general, any kind of threaded control knob has play between threads
and would loosen on its own w/out some kind of spring action
wait for Card experts for DIY replacement, or available original

Wompus Cat

Thanks Phil my eyes are as Blurry as the picture  ...lol
Didn't understand the question . Just because I never seen one on any of my Cardinals doesn't mean they don't have them .
Looks like an add on for to Hold your hook or tie off the line when you are not Fishing .

Swami805

I think it's there to apply pressure to keep the drag from backing off on it's own
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Wompus Cat

foakes

It is a spring tension clicker that keeps the drag knob on the number it is set at.

It is riveted to the lower frame housing.

Tom is our expert on Cardinals — but until he comes along — remedy's would be to source another spring and fasten it with rivets or tiny hobby screws used in electronics.

Or, to source a new frame with the tension clicker spring attached.

These are valuable and extremely well made reels.  It would be worth doing the fix — either way that is possible.

I likely have the spring in my ABU/ZEBCO parts, and I also have new frames with the tensioner. But Tom may have a better fix that won't be so involved.  He is the Cardinal Expert.

I have 14 crates of NOS ABU parts — and have not had the time to go through them yet.

That will not be a hard chore — since everything is basically numbered and enveloped or bagged in order — but I need to find room for them to live here.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Gfish

It's one those lil' dealies that prolly don't get greased to often. Kinda back up in there, but still exposed to the outside, where moisture can hide. I really like the gear box design/engineering on the Abu, Sweden made reels with the nice close tolerances. Have yet to get any water inside there.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Midway Tommy

Fred is right on the money with his info.

It is a must have, otherwise your drag knob setting won't stay where you set it and will change easily. Worst case scenario is you'll lose your drag knob & screw, fairly easily, actually. They're usually attached with two rivets unless someone revamped it. There used to be an aftermarket hard rubber replacement but I haven't seen any of those around for a long time. There's also a partial tensioner like the one in this photo (Part # 11107 C3 or 14605 black C3, 4 & 5) that will work on the green or tan 4s but you'll need to find a screw & tap the body.

Rusted doesn't really matter but you need to clean the rust off. Broken depends on where it's broken. A couple good photos would help determine an appropriate fix but as long as you can create bend/hump that will have pressure in the notches inside the drag knob you should be OK. I've done that a few times and it works just fine. I usually remove the shorter portion. It ends up looking similar to Fred's last photo. Just make sure your bend/hump has an extension and smooth top so it rides nicely in the drag knob.      
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

PacRat

Tommy,
Was there ever a version from the factory that has screws? I have a vague recollection of swapping one of these out and I know I don't have rivets that small. I have a few Cardinals that I resurrected outs of parts.

-Mike

PacRat

I just went out and checked it. This was on a green Zebco Cardinal 6 and I believe it's the hard rubber part. It feels like plastic and is nowhere near as positive as the metal piece. It is attached with small screws, must have been performed by others before it came to me.

-Mike

Catching Nemo

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies. I will need to look for a replacement part or replacement housing, or try to McGyver something.

The part in my reel literally disintegrated into rusty crumbs when I removed the drag knob.  It was rusted pretty badly, and there are basically no usable stubs still attached to the rivets.

Midway Tommy

Quote from: PacRat on July 23, 2021, 08:51:36 PM
Tommy,
Was there ever a version from the factory that has screws? I have a vague recollection of swapping one of these out and I know I don't have rivets that small. I have a few Cardinals that I resurrected outs of parts.

-Mike

Mike,
The last Zebco and ABU tan Cardinal 3s ('78 - '81) had the half circle (#11107) with the screw. Also, the last version, 1977 & after, Cardinal 6 & 7 & the 6X & 7X had them with a screw (part #4093). The screw is the same for all of them, part #78. 

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Wompus Cat

A contraption like that makes me appreciate the D.A.M. Reels even more ....lol

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Wompus Cat on July 23, 2021, 11:15:36 PM
A contraption like that makes me appreciate the D.A.M. Reels even more ....lol

I own 130+ 40-50 year old fulcrum brake Cardinal reels with varying versions of that "contraption" "dealy" and have only had a couple of well used and abused acquisitions that required any meaningful attention. With a little care, attention & maintenance they will most likely last another 50 years or more. 

Tommy D (ORCA), NE