Pac Queen trip prep.....

Started by pjstevko, July 27, 2021, 02:55:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjstevko

I've got a 3 day trip on the Pac Queen coming up in a few weeks and figured I better pick up a few extra jigs since they've been the hot ticket the last few weeks. Any flat fall and coltsniper type jig is impossible to find from LA south so whenever I find some I pick up a few extras. Here's my latest score, I'll upgrade the split rings and hooks on the snipers and add a 400# leader to the flat falls.....

foakes

Nice Arsenal & great prep, PJ!

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

alantani

i've been using 400 pound split rings that are braised shut.  had one open up one time.   
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

MarkT

The BFT have dropped out of the counts.  It's been kelp paddy YT.  Hopefully, the BFT will turn back on by the time of your trip.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

pjstevko

Quote from: MarkT on July 27, 2021, 03:26:41 PM
The BFT have dropped out of the counts.  It's been kelp paddy YT.  Hopefully, the BFT will turn back on by the time of your trip.

Yeah i've noticed the bft numbers drop lately but the trip is 3 weeks away. I'm super stocked the yt numbers are so high....Believe it or not but I've never caught a yt before and it's been on my "life" list for years!!!!!

I'm really grateful to have caught a bft over 100# already but i'm really excited to catch my first YT!!!!!!

Brewcrafter

Based on the photo I am thinking you are pretty set! - john

pjstevko

Last night I got a call from Fishermans Landing and they informed me that a spot opened up on the trip before my 3 day and it was mine if I wanted it, I told them "hell ya!". I was 3rd on the wait list when i called last so I'm assuming a big group cancelled. So now I'll be on the Pac Queen for back to back trips, the first is a 1.5 day and the second is a 3 day. I'm stoked the spot opened up on the PQ because I was looking into fishing a different boat and the logistics were getting tricky and now all my gear can stay onboard between the trips.

The recent fish counts look great for yt and mahi but the tuna (bft & yft) have dropped way off....the trips about 3 weeks away so anything can happen....

I'm just glad I'll be able to get in some serious rail time this summer

PJ

JK47

Congrats, I'm jealous. The PQ has a lot of character. If there are BFT around they are your best bet short of a LR trip.

pjstevko

Quote from: JK47 on July 28, 2021, 09:06:03 PM
Congrats, I'm jealous. The PQ has a lot of character. If there are BFT around they are your best bet short of a LR trip.

I love the Pac Queen!!! There's a reason their schedule fills up within a month of it being posted.....

The Pac Queen is the bft Kings.....Every year they are the number 1 boat for the bluefin counts. Last year they caught over 2,000 more bluefin than the next closest boat...

JK47

Yeah, numbers are one thing (good reputation fills the boat with anglers that can land fish), but the vessel itself is something else. I like the way it rides (long and lean), and minimal galley. It's not trying to be a junior long range boat, it's a tuna killing machine!!!

sciaenops

Just back from 2.5d, Day 1 fishing down the beach for all you want kelp paddy yt averaging 10#. They were not picky. Day 2 spent chasing tuna schools between San Diego & Clemente with little success. Need to run and gun with very large trebles for these finicky fish. Maybe coming off the full moon didn't help.  Good luck on your trips!

pjstevko

I got an order of Hogy protail swimbaits for my fishing adventures over the next few months and plan on bringing a couple on my Pac Queen trips next month. The have VMC 3X hooks and are good for fish up to around 50-75#. I use them in florida for big tarpon and snook as well as strips in Connecticut. I think they'll be perfect for the yt, mahi and smaller tunas being caught right now!

Swami805

Drop those back on the slide on 40lb and let the fun begin!
Do what you can with that you have where you are

pjstevko

Quote from: Swami805 on July 29, 2021, 08:21:20 PM
Drop those back on the slide on 40lb and let the fun begin!

That's the plan!!!! They're about 5 1/2 inches long and weight 2oz each so they'd sink nicely during the slide

Bill B

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!