Newell P338J

Started by captquint99, August 06, 2021, 05:51:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

captquint99

I have an original P338J and the wavy tension washers are cracked. This was a common issue with these reels. Carl was gracious enough to give me some extras many years ago at one of the shows and I have used them all. Is there another part that I can use in its place? Thanks in advance.

Rancanfish

Pretty sure the guy on Ebay has them. (Look up Whittertie, sp).  Just look up newell reels and you'll find his ads.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Swami805

That's a tuff one to find. I used my last one recently, if you find a source please post it
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Bryan Young

those waive tension washers is to add additional tension so the star would not back off the drag in a low drag setting.  Most of the time, I'm fishing at 4-5# or more drag and my star has not backed off at all.  It really is not a needed part if your drag stack is configured correctly in the reel.  I have thrown countless number of them away because of cracking and have not noticed a difference when it's there or not.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Rancanfish

A buddy gave me a 338J recently for a song,  which is why I bought a narrow kit from Randy last week. No, I don't need it, and won't even assemble for 6 weeks.

EBay guy doesn't carry it?  Guess I should check beforehand. Sorry Cap'n.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Newell Nut

This is what you need. Go to McMaster Carr part #9714k32 Wave Disc springs . They work great on either side of the star and are found on all of my reels.

Dwight