Knives

Started by foakes, August 07, 2021, 07:21:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Many of us on Alan's site enjoy, use, and collect knives — it is part of who we are as anglers and outdoor folks.

There are many custom makers out there — and I have some of their knives.  However, my favorite blade pastime is EDC (every day carry pocketknives) made by quality companies.

My favorite US maker is Case.

My favorite worldwide maker is Boker, based in Germany for 300 years.

Boker has adapted extremely well to our global market — by offering many price ranges of knives, many patterns, and multiple countries of origin — all while keeping with their roots, integrity, and a Lifetime Guarantee on any of their knives — regardless of where they are manufactured.

But the two most important things to me — quality craftsmanship & materials, along with fair pricing.

Their CEO, Carsten, is an approachable and knowledgeable spokesperson for the company.  He knows knives, he encourages young folks to become part of their company, and he is a great example of how a 300 year company should operate — going into the 21st Century.

No games, no drama, no misleading claims — just solid products at fair prices.

I generally buy 4 to 10 knives a month — usually in pairs — and always on sale.  I have accounts with a half dozen retailers — and keep track of what would be a good value.

The reason I buy in pairs — if a quality knife is a great bargain — I just buy two, then sell the other one for what both knives cost — and that way the knife I keep — is free, or close to free.

Or, I give them to friends during the year.

Picked up 4 knifes this week — 2 Case large 4 1/4" Navy Stockmans and 2 Boker Camp/Scout knives.

The Cases were $110 MSRP — on sale for $31 and free shipping.

The Bokers were $55 MSRP — on sale for $15 and $3 shipping for the pair.  The quality of these knives blew me away.

Grab a beverage and check out these 2 videos about Boker — you will enjoy the explanations, I think.

Best, Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

PacRat

Thanks for posting these videos. One of my favorite knives was found in a bush in the desert. It had been there a while but the leather sheath was still good and the blade had a little rust. It's marked 'Solingen Germany' but that's all, no maker's mark. It's a medium size Bowie. I cleaned the rust and put an edge on it and it is scary sharp and it retains that edge.

-Mike

philaroman

just goin' from memory...  not lookin' stuff up: Solingen is a highly desirable "type of steel"
specific to a geographical region in Germany, I think, rather than one maker
I know it's better from use -- someone else better explain how/why

foakes

Yes, Mike —

Boker is based in Solingen, Germany — and took over one of the 300 year old Solingen steel blade manufacturers about 150 years ago.

The integrity and mindset, along with the look to the future globally, and an eye towards innovation while keeping their top quality roots — is possibly unmatched in the world.

Believe it or not — one can email or call the CEO, and he will actually talk with you.

Details, transparency, and communication are key to doing business today.

These camp knives are an example —

Rosewood scales, 440 SS which takes a great sharpening edge, the best materials, crisp springs for a "snap-back"walk, no blade slop, attractive, and extremely well made with a Lifetime Guarantee.

And...$14.99 — IMO, unbelievable.

Their products are made to the same precise & exacting standards in Germany, the US, Argentina, Italy, and China — no difference in quality.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

PacRat

Where did you find this great deal?

foakes

This one was from BladeHQ

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Boker-Magnum-Classic-Pocket-Steel--40248

Others I buy from are Deadwood, Shepherd Hills, and a few others, plus eBay occasionally, and sometimes directly from the manufacturers.  Just depends.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

Hardy Boy

I went through a knive collecting phase back when eBay had some deals. Collected mostly quality hunting knives like puma, buck, Anza etc. Have a decent collection. I have used most of them so I guess I ruined collector's status.

Todd
Todd

Gfish

Ah yes,  that German apprenticeship system. I so wish we had that here. We may have minor stuff like that here, official and unofficial, but mostly it's about selling young people on school programs and student loans. The Germans recognize the value of a well developed National system. 
Thanks for the videos Fred.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Wompus Cat

Gerber is a Quality Knife .
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

pjstevko

Hey Fred I'm looking to replace my EDC I use for work and was wondering what you'd suggest?

It gets used for everything from cutting rope to cutting my lunch.....

I currently have a cheap semi-serated Kershaw.....

oc1

I don't collect things but will sometimes buy a Camillus knife.  If I carry a knife it is usually a bosum marlin spike rigging knife.

foakes

Quote from: pjstevko on August 08, 2021, 04:59:14 AM
Hey Fred I'm looking to replace my EDC I use for work and was wondering what you'd suggest?

It gets used for everything from cutting rope to cutting my lunch.....

I currently have a cheap semi-serated Kershaw.....

There are literally 1000's of pocket or EDC knives in the market today, PJ —

A few hundred of them are very good knives.

For me, it boils down to just a few things —

How will I use the knife?

How often will I use the knife?

Where will I use the knife?

Will the knife hold up to my use?

Do I need a tool, a cutter, or a pry bar?

How accessible and quickly can I get it out, open it, use it, and put it back in my pocket?

Can I open it with one hand?  And can I close it with one hand?

Is it a locker?  Do I typically need a locker?

I always have a Kershaw Barge when around the property, a scout knife in my center console, and a Case when going to town or dressed for Church.

Please confirm your address with a PM.  I will be sending you a couple of my favorites — a high quality Kershaw Barge & a high quality Boker camp/scout knife — since I have been needing to find a way to Thank You for helping us with information on our home when the Creek Fire evacuated us for 19 days last September.  They will be new and in the boxes.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

pjstevko

Fred I appreciate that offer but I can't except as helping out friends is what we do here....

I carry a Leatherman for all my other needs but the pocket knife is the first thing I reach for....

I'll look into the Barge as it seems more like what I'm after....

Hope you're well my friend

foakes

I understand and respect that, PJ —

However, the Barge is a unique knife with many, many uses.

It is a weird configuration — stronger than any other knife — able to pry open paint cans, break car glass, attach  a lanyard, control easily, one-hand opening and closing, Tanto type Wharncliffe blade with lots of backbone, sharpens easily, bead-blasted so it doesn't show scratches, a solid locker, and nearly bullet-proof.  It is not a lightweight knife.

But, because of the cost of manufacturing this specialized knife — and it's small intended market (tradesmen, first responders, loggers, and woodsmen) — it was discontinued by Kershaw last year.

Some of the YouTube's have good explanations of this tough and high quality knife.

It is an impressive tool — and I also keep one open on my reel bench.  It is extremely handy.

Since it is not readily available — I hope you will let me send you one as a friend — and for no other reason.

I purchased 31 of these from the last (2) stores that had any inventory.  Bought every one they had.  Only have a couple left after giving to friends.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

PacRat

That Barge is quite a knife! Too bad they discontinued it. About the only thing they could have done to improve it would be to build it out of titanium.
-Mike