Knives

Started by foakes, August 07, 2021, 07:21:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

philaroman

hey, I'm w/ you on this...  I buy cheaper stuff
got the Wüsthof + honing steel & fake-Damascus (early Kershaw?) as gifts
they don't go bad & I don't have to feed 'em  ;D

JasonGotaProblem

That Kershaw looks a lot like the one I used to carry, other than mine had a black blade. I had that knife for 10 years, and i used it for everything from drywall to bait to wire to fruit (with a wash in between). I just kept the packaging. Whenever it got dull I'd bend the clip and take it back to wallyworld to swap it out for a new one, about every year and a half.

I think I need to get another one, I finally lost it about 5 years ago.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Benni3

When i was doing conveyor belt work this is a must,,,,, ;) but when the splicers gets dull they just throw them away,,,,, :-\ so i got about 15,,,,,,, ;) and a halk bill knife has so many purposes,,,,, :) one is opening packages,,,,,,,,,,, ;D

nelz

I'm not really a knife collector, but I picked up this beauty while scouting for old reels. At the time I had no idea what I had, but it looked awesome and was priced right.  ;D

Benni3

Quote from: nelz on August 12, 2021, 02:41:39 AM
I'm not really a knife collector, but I picked up this beauty while scouting for old reels. At the time I had no idea what I had, but it looked awesome and was priced right.  ;D
That's a great knife,,,,, ;) let's keep this thrend going ok i got a whale bone i got in nagshead nc,,,, :D back in the 70's it was ok ,,,,,,,, ;D

nelz

Quote from: Benni3 on August 12, 2021, 04:20:59 AMThat's a great knife,,,,, ;) let's keep this thrend going ok i got a whale bone i got in nagshead nc,,,, :D back in the 70's it was ok ,,,,,,,, ;D

Ahrrrrrr, she be real whale bone matey? Can't make out the inscriptions on the blade, what'd they say?

jgp12000

Our best kitchen knives are a J.A. Henckels and a Cold Steel, both dangerously sharp. I like to cut up veggies and drink a cold one while my wife cooks and we have the food network on in the background. Pioneer woman is one of our favorites.I got the Henckels at SMKW fer $30 they were $80 on Amazon at the time. I wish I had got more for Christmas gifts .

Benni3

Quote from: nelz on August 12, 2021, 04:30:19 AM
Quote from: Benni3 on August 12, 2021, 04:20:59 AMThat's a great knife,,,,, ;) let's keep this thrend going ok i got a whale bone i got in nagshead nc,,,, :D back in the 70's it was ok ,,,,,,,, ;D

Ahrrrrrr, she be real whale bone matey? Can't make out the inscriptions on the blade, what'd they say?
The Mariner,,,,,national bale,,,,, ;D

JasonGotaProblem

This thread is making me long for my previous kershaw knife I described above. I haven't actually carried a knife as a regular thing since I lost that one.

They still make the 1670TBLKST model that I know and love. Though at this stage of my life I don't think I need to do the same renewal operation as above.

My birthday is 2 weeks out. I think I'll start dropping hints.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

PacRat

Quote from: JasonGotaPenn on August 13, 2021, 12:47:26 PM
This thread is making me long for my previous kershaw knife I described above. I haven't actually carried a knife as a regular thing since I lost that one.

They still make the 1670TBLKST model that I know and love. Though at this stage of my life I don't think I need to do the same renewal operation as above.

There's a great price for that knife here: https://www.knifecenter.com/item/KS1670TBLKST/kershaw-1670tblkst-ken-onion-blur-assisted-folding-knife-black-tanto-combo-blade-black-aluminum-handles

PacRat

Quote from: PacRat on August 13, 2021, 04:17:37 PM
Quote from: JasonGotaPenn on August 13, 2021, 12:47:26 PM

There's a great price for that knife here: https://www.knifecenter.com/item/KS1670TBLKST/kershaw-1670tblkst-ken-onion-blur-assisted-folding-knife-black-tanto-combo-blade-black-aluminum-handles

I'm sorry...I need to drink more coffee before I post. I thought the price was $44.04 but that's the savings. The cost is $80 so I would shop around.

theswimmer

Quote from: pjstevko on August 08, 2021, 04:59:14 AM
Hey Fred I'm looking to replace my EDC I use for work and was wondering what you'd suggest?

It gets used for everything from cutting rope to cutting my lunch.....

I currently have a cheap semi-serated Kershaw.....

PJ , knowing how you live and work I think I can throw my 2cts in here ...

EDC for over 20 years , Spyderco Endura .
When I was doing Mountain Rescue , Spyderco  Salt .
Both fully serrated .
I resisted the full serrations until at the suggestion of an old timer who told me to carry it for a year and then decide.
No decision  .
Spyderco will sharpen for free , lifetime .

First pic is a HK , spring assist , heavy but super strong .
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

theswimmer

More
Spyderco Salt and Spydy Endura.
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

theswimmer

Nother
Spyderco Salt .
Probably the finest Rescue knife made .
About $100 .
This will become part of your arm after about a day or two .
Not bad out for a day of fishing either !

Errol Flynn