Has anyone tried these?

Started by JasonGotaProblem, August 09, 2021, 01:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonGotaProblem

https://www.jigskinz.com/product-page/rodwrapz-foil-abalone-4-pack-mixed-color

Have any of you tried these shrink wraps? Seems like it would look pretty cool.
Available on ebay too but I figured it would be more appropriate to link to the company site.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

philaroman

if you like that type of bling, look up semi-precious petrified shell called ammolite

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: philaroman on August 09, 2021, 01:35:43 PM
if you like that type of bling, look up semi-precious petrified shell called ammolite
That is pretty cool. I once got my wife a matching set of ammoNite jewelry, same source animal.

I'm just looking at ways to decorate a rod that don't require, ya know, ...skill.

philaroman

ammolite is ammonite from one specific area...  mostly Canada, some US
unique set of aging/pressure factors produced unbelievable colors
photos are limited for showing color change w/ angle of sight, different lighting, etc.

Jeri

Decorations and skills, are a finite part of rod building, whether it is a simple spiral design of threads or more complex thread work, ranging right up to use of pigments in resin for marbling. All are part and parcel of the journeyman road of a rod builder, getting the basics mastered and then personal development onwards is never found through short cuts and stickers. Traditionally, thread work was seen as the pinnacle, but the shear random beauty of marbling has extended what is acceptable to demonstrate the skill of the builder. Within all these traditional aspects there is also the balance of different colour combinations to be mastered, again another journeyman aspect.

What you produce today, needs to stand the test of time, not just in quality of build and performance, but also in aesthetics. Affects in thread work can be achieve in multiple ways, from simply adding trim bands in neon colours to more complex combinations of metallic and nylon threads. Through these mechanisms you develop your own unique branding and style, which become your signature.

gstours

Jeri, this was very well summed up,  this is very similar for the firearms folks.   
   It seems like some things you have to do before you die.   Finding enjoyment and being creative is a natural instinct.   After all,  you only go around once.🎣

ReelFishingProblems

Never used the jigskinz product but I did use something advertised as real abalone that did appear to be real. It was easier to apply than I thought it would be and it looks beautiful.
I think it was MicroFlex Abalone Inlay strip.

jurelometer

Quote from: ReelFishingProblems on August 10, 2021, 04:50:03 PM
Never used the jigskinz product but I did use something advertised as real abalone that did appear to be real. It was easier to apply than I thought it would be and it looks beautiful.
I think it was MicroFlex Abalone Inlay strip.

I do shell veneer inlays (not on rods though).  The flexible shell  veneers work  really well.  If you don't have a access to a laser cutter, a very sharp pair of scissors will work.  They won't stay sharp very long.

Not a fan of ornate rod work myself, but it's not my rod  :)

-J

JasonGotaProblem

As usual, my attempts at self deprecating humor miss the mark. Still turned into an informative thread, I just made myself sound foolish in the process. Of those who know me personally, the only one who'd say I'm lazy is my wife. I have many character flaws. Thankfully that's likely not one.

This stuff caught my eye after seeing the "real" abalone stuff, and others saying it was very tricky to use. I was thinking about it for a split grip rod, in the 'split' part of the grip.

I ordered one. At that price I can experiment. I'll play with it and post a pic of the end result if i don't hate it.

jurelometer

Quote from: JasonGotaPenn on August 11, 2021, 04:39:13 PM

This stuff caught my eye after seeing the "real" abalone stuff, and others saying it was very tricky to use. I was thinking about it for a split grip rod, in the 'split' part of the grip.

The problem with using an imitation shell decoration is that if it comes out well, the first question that you will get is  "Is that real?". 

The raw  (unbacked, uncoated) shell veneer is a bit tricky to work with, but the flex stuff is pretty easy, just like working with a thick decal.   You can even get it with adhesive backing.  The shell  dulls your scissors quickly, but for straightline cuts, you can use a single edge razor.

Here is an example of an inexpensive variety ( freshwater oyster?):

Normal shell veneer cracks if you bend it or even look at it funny.  The bendable shell  veneer come pre-cracked with small cracks everywhere, but the top coating holds it together, and the cracks are evenly distributed and tiny, so the aesthetic impact is minimal.

If you don't go to the rodbuilding supply companies, you can get a the stuff for under 15$USD for a 4x8 in sheet.  I was paying under 10 not too long ago.

I was doing most of my shell work with raw veneer and laser cutting for inlays in wood boxes and such. I even did some inserts on some of my vertical jigs  just for grins.   A slight bend in one direction is possible with raw veneer.

Here is a jig with a Paua shell insert:

Note that while I am not a fan of decorative additions on fishing rods,  I don't seem to have a problem decorating my jigs before feeding them to the rocks  :D

Here is what a talented craftsman could do with shell work by hand back in the day.   No lasers.  Not even power tools:

-J

steelfish

Jason, as you have noticed I like to use stickers to help the theme of the rod but Im not a purist or even less an expert on rod building and admire the guys that make magic with thread work, I found on rod building a way to have fun with my rods, on my personal rods I do experiment with any crazy idea I might have and care less what other people might think of it (friends tends to like my rods, go figure), but still I dont know if I would use that "shrink tube" Imitating color patterns of abalon shell, pretty sure it would be easy to use and it would look great but I dont think it will pass the test of the time, maybe Im thinking on saltwater rods that normally have tons of hours of direct sunlight and might decolorate the colors on plastic, Heck even some metallic thread suffer decoloration after few use on direct sunlight.

but still,  ;D ;D maybe on a freshwater rod it might not have that many hours of direct sunlight specially on a short split grip, so, you have my Go for it, at the end of the day fishing rods are just tools, right?

Quote from: jurelometer on August 11, 2021, 07:50:53 PM
Note that while I am not a fan of decorative additions on fishing rods,  I don't seem to have a problem decorating my jigs before feeding them to the rocks  Cheesy
;D ;D ;D ::) ::)

Quote from: jurelometer on August 11, 2021, 07:50:53 PM
Normal shell veneer cracks if you bend it or even look at it funny. 

its funny because is real
The Baja Guy

JasonGotaProblem

I think I've found the ideal use for this, since i already ordered it.

A buddy found this lure in the mangroves and brought it to me. I've got some epoxy and red pigment. I may refresh the face a bit and call it a day.

philaroman

I want ME to be safe -- not  the lures...  they don't need prophilactics  :o

seriously, great idea in general...  maybe not for that lure in particular:
if the scale/rib pattern is molded 3D part of lure body (rather than flat paint on insert in clear body)
that's a high-end lure feature you want to keep & emphasize w/ thin coat of light pearly color

JasonGotaProblem

Now knowing how small it'll shrink to I may do a few jig heads

JasonGotaProblem

Finished product. Now to test it. Probably too heavy to cast well on the ULs but maybe the next step up