No longer frustrated with a bearing order

Started by JasonGotaProblem, August 10, 2021, 11:15:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonGotaProblem

I ordered some bearings on the 'bay. Seller claims some glitch meant he didnt get notified of the sale and didn't send out my order til after I complained. Ok I'll take your word for it, these things happen. And to their credit they got it out that day. But then they arrive and I noticed one of them feels a bit off. So I hold it up to the light (open bearing) and see it's missing one of the balls. Contacted them again, no response.

Now this bearing is a $1 item. The shipping was more $.

Like, I don't wanna give someone with otherwise great feedback a review along the lines of "had to wait an extra week for them to eventually ship a defective part" but I hate to say it's a valid summary. And I get that it's a $1 bearing and maybe that's the risk you take. But dang it I'm not a satisfied customer.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

philaroman

back in the day when it was only PayPal, they had partial refund option on original transaction
fast, easy, no fees (actually, proportionate reduction of original fees)
very convenient for "not as described, but not worth shipping back"

send a photo of bad bearing + link for partial refund instructions, in case of newb seller

Wompus Cat

If they do not reply to your report about the Faulty bearing  whether it cost 2 cents or a hundred dollars in a timely manner then they NEED NEGATIVE FEEDBACK as they earned it  . Granted it may only be a Dollar but I work hard for my Dollars.
In my book they have 2 strikes already ....lol
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Cor

Give them a decently worded negative rating.   They can then fix it and explain what happened.

Can't just get away with it, this is how online shopping works and it is absolutely necessary that we give honest feedback, how else are us buyers able to ascertain who the unreliable sellers are.
Cornelis

Wompus Cat

The  Negative feedback is like Hitting a Mule in the Head with a 4x4 .
It get's there undivided attention to do something .

foakes

I might look at it a little differently —

Look at the sellers other feedback from buyers. 

If there is a pattern of this type of behavior — by checking out the ratings and comments — I would leave Negative feedback.

If he is 100% good — or at least 99%+ — I would leave neutral or no feedback.  I would also cite specifics that could be backed up with email or message records.

Then just forget about it — and move on.

In this day and age of Covid, which has caused many stressors ranging from end of life issues, financial, family, employment, and dozens more — with the next few years at best, uncertain — and maybe much worse — we can sometimes just look the other way and know that others are not handling things as well as they should — but we can move on with what we can control — our attitudes and our integrity.

And, let's face it — a $1 bearing, that cost the seller 20 cents — is not worth the hassle, IMO.

Or, we can dig in with righteous indignation — and run that $1 transaction into the ground.

Speaking for myself — I know from experience that approach only makes me feel better for a nano-second — but the after-effects of my behavior (although warranted) stays with me for years.

Yeah, it's not right — but weigh the options — then take a sensible approach — whatever you decide that path is.

Just my opinions.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Wompus Cat

Fred of course is Right .
But if the guy proves out to be a CROOK he needs the appropriate action taken .

Midway Tommy

I pretty much agree with Fred, but geez, what does one expect on $1 bearing? It sure isn't going to be high quality. Take a good photo and ask for a prepaid return shipping label and then request a full refund. That's the standard process. He'll probably issue a full refund and tell you to keep all of them. Give the guy a chance to make things right. Dishing out negative feedback "just because" is a bunch of BS. Don't gain a reputation for giving negative feedback. Sellers can block you, you know.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

philaroman

whaddareyadoin' buyin' $1 new BB's, anyway  ???  ...even bulk
to economize, go down in rating rather than reputability
ballpark $3 good ABEC-3 is fine...  ABEC-5 for spool on new-toy lo-pro  ;D
they'll last fine -- don't need 10-tubes, except really common sizes for your spinners

JasonGotaProblem

Thank you everyone for the commentary. For what it's worth I waited a day and a half before posting my comments here, and have intentionally withheld the sellers name to not bash them on here out of the hopes they will do something to fix this.

I did end up going back and leaving negative feedback, but i wasnt rude about it and I will happily remove it. I gripe a lot but I'm not a vindictive person in general.

Theres a hobby shop locally with this same size bearing (intended for RC use) for $8 a pair. I may just do that and call it a day.

handi2

The bearings you are sourcing sound like steel bearings with the chromed steel balls.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

oc1

Quote from: handi2 on August 10, 2021, 07:51:59 PM
The bearings you are sourcing sound like steel bearings with the chromed steel balls.

Keith

Yeah, you get what you pay for.

philaroman

you didn't fall for FastEddy, did you?  ::)

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: philaroman on August 10, 2021, 08:21:00 PM
you didn't fall for FastEddy, did you?  ::)
Not naming names. And I didn't fall for anything, I gambled on something. It's a freshwater reel. Figured it was worth the dice roll. Didn't expect an incomplete bearing. I didn't know that was the type of thing I needed to check for.

As far as lessons go, this one was pretty cheap. And the other bearings are useable. I'm gonna go back and delete the negative review. Or at least change to neutral.

JasonGotaProblem

I may have forgotten to hit submit on my review or something, because i can't find it to delete it. And i want to, because even though they never responded to the email i got an envelope today with a replacement bearing in it.

Things go wrong on a daily basis. For all of us. Including in the services we perform for others. What matters is how you address those errors, and they made it right. So that's that, and I'm glad i wasnt more of an A-hole about it.

I just wish he'd answered my email, I went and bought a replacement locally between then and now.