BNIB Tica Team ST468 with jerky drags... what to do?

Started by williewiskers, August 13, 2021, 12:10:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wompus Cat

Gotcha on the Drag/Driver Plate Recess.
I have used Brake Cleaner on Automotive applications for many years with NO problems pertaining to the Bonding on the Pads or Shoe however can't speak for the Fishing Drag application without knowing the Bonding agent used to adhere them .
Since you have a problem with them now I would try it anyway and be sure to let them dry well before reuse because at this point the only other thing to do is Replace them anyway ??
Think of it like this ; If you get oil on your Brake pads or Clutch disk in your car it might work just Fine a couple of times but as it things Heat up from friction the oil in the disk material will start gumming up and will make  jump ,bind, grind,slip ,slide ,smoke .....etc.
You DO NOT want to get Brake Cleaner on any Paint and Most Plastics as it Will Disolve them . That goes for Most  Brake Fluids too.......
Good luck and please post back you results.
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

williewiskers

I have cleaned the bonded drag / driver plates with brake cleaner - they look pristine. The metal drag plate has marks on it that indicated uneven rubbing between the drag disk and the drag plate. This can be seen in the radial wear lines in the attached image. The other side only has round lines curving around like one would expect. This side has troublesome markings. In the picture the stainless drag disk had also been cleaned with brake cleaner.

Im going to put back together dry and see what happens... Notice how the wear surface is recessed - this prevents "sanding" the metal with 2000 grit sandpaper as other have mentioned.

The Wiskers

williewiskers

Crazy high start-up drag... with a "crack" when it starts to move from a dead stop.... Im going to grease it now and see if there's any change.

oldmanjoe

From the pictures , it looks like the friction is rimming a little .     The bottom friction at the 6 oclock position .   
  I would also mark the intermediary plate with a marking pen and try clocking the plate on different lugs , and see it comes more concentric with the frictions , if that make sense .. 
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Wompus Cat

The parts you can not get to with Sand paper use 6/0 steel wool wadded up and it will clean it up pretty well and of course Brake Clean after .

williewiskers

Quote from: Wompus Cat on August 14, 2021, 02:56:58 AM
The parts you can not get to with Sand paper use 6/0 steel wool wadded up and it will clean it up pretty well and of course Brake Clean after .

I have just greased the drag washers very lightly, but did not wipe them with a paper towel. Re-assembled and the "jerk" that was 10# dry when pulled slowly is now only 2# when pulled slowly. At this point I'm convinced this is the milling defect in the "intermediate plate", as you called it. I do not think my jerking will get any better than this unless that plate is replaced. I cant see how I can correct such a small tolerance defect with hand rubbing of any kind.

Ill see if i can possibly find a part number.

There has been NO response from TICA on their facebook account or their customer service email.

The Wiskers

Wompus Cat

Well IF you can get new parts maybe it's best  however you would be surprised what you can do with varying grades of rubbing compounds , Polishes ,and a lot of Elbow Grease . You are making a difference it seems .
If that is the housing in the upper corner your drags fit into it has some issues that need to be  be cleaned up too.

nelz

nelz

Also, not sure if this is just camera lens distortion, or is this part really so off center?

williewiskers

Quote from: nelz on August 14, 2021, 04:32:25 AM
Also, not sure if this is just camera lens distortion, or is this part really so off center?

Optical illusion. Its a star an even star shape and fits the splines on the shaft.

williewiskers

Quote from: nelz on August 14, 2021, 04:24:17 AM
Try the same test using braid...

I dont see what the type of line im using is. I pull 10's of thousands of KM of line off reels every year - nylon, dacron, PE or spectra. NONE of them jerk like this. I assume you're probably thinking its line stretch - but the thing about that and CF drags is... once the line stretches at a certain tension and the drags slip it should stay consistent relative to the pulling tension applied.

The Wiskers

williewiskers

Quote from: Wompus Cat on August 14, 2021, 03:35:14 AM
Well IF you can get new parts maybe it's best  however you would be surprised what you can do with varying grades of rubbing compounds , Polishes ,and a lot of Elbow Grease . You are making a difference it seems .
If that is the housing in the upper corner your drags fit into it has some issues that need to be  be cleaned up too.

Im sure under different circumnstances it could be smoothed. However in this case I cant see how. I dont have a "high" spot, I have half a milled recess that is cut deeper than the other side - by a VERY tiny bit. I cant normalize that gradual of a change under such small tolerances; in a confined recess.

I have to try and find a new one. Im going to try Tica America on the phone tomorrow.

The Wiskers

nelz

Quote from: williewiskers on August 14, 2021, 04:37:17 AMOptical illusion. Its a star an even star shape and fits the splines on the shaft.

Ah, ok. Yeah, I'm very familiar with this Tica design, I've had mine apart many times, it just looked funky in the photo.

Btw, I can tell you that mine is a little jerky with mono, but totally smooth with braid. Don't ask me why, I'm sure Mr. Jure-o-something can explain it. Anyway, I went with braid as a result.

Brewcrafter

Just a thought from the cheap seats - you cleaned up the drag/driver plates and they look pristine.  But have you checked to make sure they are flatly laminated to to plate?  If there is an sort of variation where the drag is not 100% flat and in contact it could induce "chatter".

Wompus Cat

Hold on Thar Bobba a Louie like Quicks Draw Mc Graw use to say .

I just noticed BNIB in your header .
That is a color of a different Horse indeedy.

Unless you have been using that Reel for a towing winch on your truck /Jeep then there is NO WAY those pieces would have that kinda wear showing just spooling it up and testing the Drag function.
Is this A Brand NEW In Box deal or have you used it a year or so ?
If it is NEW and unused then someone sold you a USED REEL not NEW and Tica needs a return .
You are obviously a Patient ,knowing individual and I think Close to a Resolve here otherwise .