Hello from Kentucky

Started by Hock, August 15, 2021, 05:05:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hock

Stumbled upon this site after diving into researching what reels I could buy that would be feasible for grouper and amberjack from a boat while also being able to use the same reel for medium sized land shark fishing down in the Tampa area when we visit my parents place.  Obviously the old USA made PENN 9/0 Senators popped up and then I started seeing suggestions for the Daiwa 900H's.  That in return led me down the path of comparing the two and multiple ppl in their experience, the Daiwas simply out worked and out lasted the PENN's, especially when the drag was upgraded with Alans drag kit.  Started looking into that and here we are!

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

foakes

Welcome aboard, Hock!

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

otownjoe

Welcome to the learning experience. I have both Penn and Diawa reels for the type of fishing you described. For big grouper the  old sealines can't be beat. When its time to turn the handle that big gear comes in handy. I still love my Penns for the availability of the upgrades and replacement parts. Good luck with your new reel. Joe

alantani

hock, when you compare the two reels in their stock configuration, i think that the penn 9/0 and the daiwa 900h are pretty even.  the full aluminum chassis of the 900h makes it look like a hands down winner, but the bar frame of the 9/0 senator will hold up perfectly fine.  the 3-stack drag of the 900h is a non-starter, so it really has to be changed out to a 5-stack and that's $30.  the 9/0 senator 5-stack drag can be greased and you're good to go.  as far as handles go, i have a 5/0 grip and stainless steel handle arms that will fit both reels for the same cost.  either way, you will come out with a great reel. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Brewcrafter

Welcome Hock from the SoCal Inland Empire. - john

happyhooker

Greetings, H, from Minnesota.

Frank

Bill B

Good to have you here...Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

ReelFishingProblems

Welcome.
Used to live in Tampa and really missing the fishing. Wish you all the best and you'll love this site

Nick

Gfish

Ssssuuuupp, Hoss(Hock),
I have the 30 size Sealine and think it's overall a better reel than the Penn Jigmaster. Tough to beat a 1- piece aluminum frame—with metal rings to guard the edges and you can get a 5:1 geared stock version—"SH". Also I like the placement of the gear-side bearing in the bridge plate for strength. The Penn's have a definite advantage for stock handle size and there are many upgrades available(handle, gear sleeve, drag configurations, frame and plates), hmmm, maybe it's a toss-up?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

blad

Shark Hunter

Welcome fellow Kentuckian!  ;)
Life is Good!

Donnyboat

Hi there, I have two Diawa Seiko 900 reels they are really nice old reels, they pre date the H reels, & welcome from Sunny Western Australia, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Benni3

Welcome from salem Virginia,,,,,,,, ;D