Jigmaster 500 question

Started by smazzola, August 29, 2021, 12:10:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smazzola

Hey guys, I bought a Jigmaster 500 on eBay for my own use. After replacing the drag stack and serving & reel-lube, works nice, except there is to much end play in the spool. I have the non handle side bering screw in all the way. I'm new to this stuff, so I looked at the schematic and I noticed a bering spring at that end of the reel. It was not there when I bought it and I noticed the play when it arrived. Is that my problem? See attachment. Steve
😄

Wompus Cat

Well if you bought it used someone probably swiped the Spring which is used to put Tension on the Cap so it won't
back off easily  and also may have swapped the cap itself as well with a shorter one .

Measure the cap length and post it for our reference  if you can .
Also make sure the other cap on the Handle side is Tight.
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

smazzola

The handle side bushing cap is bottom out, tight. Steve
😄

Wompus Cat

That Cap should be @13mm or .5 in  .
You have the wrong Cap I think .

smazzola

A look at the non handle side plate and bering cap unscrew. ID purposes.
😄

smazzola

Un capped bering cap. ID purposes.
😄

smazzola

Here is the metric measurement on that bering cap.
😄

smazzola

If its the wrong bering cap, any ideas on how to get the right one? I look at mystic parts and there picture next to the part the number looks different than my side plate design.   :-\ Steve
😄

Wompus Cat

Ok,your Jiggy has a ball bearing in the end cap and the housing has spring tension on the plate so there would not be a spring necessarily. All of mine are just Bushings   .  You may have to remove the Bearing and shim it to get rid of the slack if it is minimal but if it is lot then something is amiss   I am not seeing .

Ron Jones

That looks like a 505. You need to shim the bearing. Put the shim behind the bearing (between the bearing and the cap.) Aluminum from a can works if you can cut it neat enough.

The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Maxed Out

Your reel is a ball bearing jigmaster. It's not a 500(bushings), it's a 505. It may be issue with the spool shaft.  I have a new aluminum 505 spool I'll send you (no charge). Just send me a pm with your full address and I'll get it in the mail.

Also (as Henry mentioned above), you're not missing a spring on your bearing cup. The 505 bearing cup doesn't have any spring in the cup. 505's don't normally need shims to remove sideplay. I sense something else is amiss

Ted

We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Wompus Cat

How about a pic of the Handle side ? You may have a Franken Reel with 500 parts and 505 side plate.

JRD

You have a 505 which is the high speed jigmaster so the schematic is the wrong one.  A little play is ok so not sure how much you have.   A shim under the bearings will help just try to get the spool centered.  Don't put too much shim on the handle side or you can find a spool to pinion engagement issue.  The bearings on the clicker side are normally peened into the cup and require a little dremel work to get them out without damage.  If nobody close has the shims you can buy Newell bearing shims on the big auction site.  A final thought is maybe they put a 500 spool into a 505 which would be loose in the reel and no amount of shimming will help.  Give us a picture of the spool shafts for a look see.

smazzola

Ok, More pics to come tomorrow morning. Thanks for all the imput, I really appreciate it. If nothing else,  I'm going to learn something about Jigmasters. Steve
😄

PacRat

I agree with Ron. Shim your bearings. You may need to shim a little on both sides. Before you start slide the spool side-to-side to see where you need the shims.

-Mike