50 TW Loud when Reeling

Started by jdupree, September 03, 2021, 03:21:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdupree

I just serivced 4 International II 50 TW's.  After completion, 2 of them are much louder when reeling than the other 2??(they were that way before I even serviced them, and yes the clickers are off).  The bearings feel great and everything looks great with the 2 in question.  Is this just the "nature of the beast" with these reels?  I can't think of anything that I did differently with the 2 that are louder.  The 2 louder ones appear to be functioning perfectly from what I can tell. 

Any tips on what I might check would be appreciated.

Thanks.

handi2

Is it the anti reverse dogs that are louder on the reels in question? You can tweak them a little and use a heavy grease.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

jdupree

That is where it souds like to me its coming from the left side plate.  I guess as you spin the reel, those dogs click?  I did remove them, cleaned them,  and added new grease.  Maybe I need more??

Wompus Cat

Bout all it can be are the Bearings . I know you say they Feel Good however when you put it all together and have the Spool in it they will make noise .
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

handi2

Quote from: jdupree on September 03, 2021, 03:34:16 PM
That is where it souds like to me its coming from the left side plate.  I guess as you spin the reel, those dogs click?  I did remove them, cleaned them,  and added new grease.  Maybe I need more??

Yes they click anytime the spool turns. You can try Evinrude Triple Guard Grease.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

jdupree

Quote from: handi2 on September 03, 2021, 04:11:50 PM
Quote from: jdupree on September 03, 2021, 03:34:16 PM

Yes they click anytime the spool turns. You can try Evinrude Triple Guard Grease.

Keith

Thanks Keith.

Wompus Cat

I thought the A/R was on the Right side on those ?  ::)

Learn something every day .

jdupree

Quote from: Wompus Cat on September 03, 2021, 04:33:08 PM
I thought the A/R was on the Right side on those ?  ::)

Yeah, they are on the left side plate and that is where the load clicking is coming from.  I had one bearing out of the 4 reels that was a little rough so I replaced it.

I will do as Keith suggested and put a little more grease and go with it.

Wompus Cat

Quote from: jdupree on September 03, 2021, 06:21:34 PM
Quote from: Wompus Cat on September 03, 2021, 04:33:08 PM
I thought the A/R was on the Right side on those ?  ::)

Yeah, they are on the left side plate and that is where the load clicking is coming from.  I had one bearing out of the 4 reels that was a little rough so I replaced it.

I will do as Keith suggested and put a little more grease and go with it.

I knew where the A/R was  ;D  

The Bearings when either Bad or going will Resonate through the Reel and can sound off anywhere making you think all kinds of maladies. Dogs don't click when Reel is in Free Spool or Line  Out  . So if you have other noises in Free Spool  I would suspect Bearings.  Cramming too much Grease in there to alieve your Click or tone it down could  mess up the A/R in cold weather ......just saying