Briggs & Stratton 492496 Carb

Started by jgp12000, September 05, 2021, 05:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jgp12000

Keep in mind this is the 2nd small engine carb I have ever swapped ,but I ordered one from amazon that fits, the mower will start but runs wide open and will not shut off. The only difference is in the attached photo that keeps the throttle linkage stuck wide open, I have to use the fuel shutoff to the turn motor off, can the part in photo be swapped over to new carb?

Old:
https://www.equipatron.com/briggs-stratton-492496-carburetor-replaces-491332-491330-491058.html

New:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DEWDF2U/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

PacRat

I would go for it. Also check to be certain that the metal tab behind it isn't part of some sort of throttle activated kill switch. This may be why you're having a hard time stopping it. These usually work on 'full-off'.

jgp12000

oldmanjoe

The part that you marked , plastic linkage is for the choke .   The steel top is the throttle shaft .
Snap picture of your linkage if you still have problems , There is a spring that may be off or missing .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

oldmanjoe

95% of the time , when they don`t want to start  or run like poo-poo it is the main feed jet that needs cleaning .
Very easy on this style carb , just remove the bottom bolt / main jet and clean the 3 holes out .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Wompus Cat

Yep the piece you have the pointer to is the Choke activation lever .
Need to see some pix of the other side of Carbs and the linkage/mounting to engine if you can .
Kill should be via a grounding wire somewhere in the linkage . You may have the Throttle cable adjusted wrong.
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

jgp12000

The new carb on the left has the red arrow pointed to the white part has notches is what keeps the throttle cable from moving.The old carb on the right has a spring loaded(black)choke with the green arrow,the linkage is connected the same on both,it's just this white piece that is different causing the problem.My question is can I move the black part over to the new carb I will try tomorrow.

oldmanjoe

Yes  Very easy to do just pull the blade out of the slot with a pair of pliers , it`s a friction fit.

jgp12000

Thanks Joe !

RUSTY OLD COLT

Small engines shut off by killing the spark , usually there is a wire on the magneto  or coil that you ground thru a switch on the handle mechanism

conchydong

This thread reminds me when I was a kid. Our POS lawnmower didn't have a kill switch and whenever I mowed the lawn I had to carry a insulated screwdriver to ground out the spark plug to stop the motor. The good old days.

Wompus Cat

Quote from: conchydong on September 06, 2021, 04:10:41 PM
This thread reminds me when I was a kid. Our POS lawnmower didn't have a kill switch and whenever I mowed the lawn I had to carry a insulated screwdriver to ground out the spark plug to stop the motor. The good old days.

I WAS the engine on our Lawnmower and I shorted out a lot.
Old Reel Type and would NOT mow down a Dandy Lion. Many a time I had to go back the next Morn and take a pair of Scissors and cut them off to get paid the 25 to 30 cents I got for mowing a pretty good sized lot.
They get 75  to 125 bux to mow a lot that size today . Course the have mowers that will run twenty five miles and hour slinging grass for half a mile these days that cost upwards of 8 grand .

oldmanjoe

:o   Reel mower ,I know them real well...

Wompus Cat

I don't know how many miles I pulled one of those behind my Bicycle struggling ll the way and sweating my young Butt off until I learned they Free Wheel if you turn  em over  .   ::)