Golf Cart Rod Holders

Started by jgp12000, September 10, 2021, 10:30:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jgp12000

I just ordered some black plastic rod holders for our golf cart.2 are for storage and 2 will be for fishing mounted at an angle. Does anyone have any pics to share of how they have theirs mounted?

Cuttyhunker

I put a pair on one years ago.  The cart had a roof so I just seized them with twine to the uprights.  The roofs and uprights vary wildly, in my case the seat caught the butt of the rod through the PVC pipe I used.  No roof the I'd mount to where the fiberglass body is near vertical, use some kind of backing at the bolt hole to spread the strain, I'd want more than just a fender washer
Doomed from childhood

thorhammer

got a pic of th eback of the cart? Several around us have them done in different ways. I got my buddy to weld me a frame i can put in the trailer hitch of the Gator and mounted holders to it.

John

oldmanjoe

???    Do you want to go big or little.........
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

philaroman

:o :o :o  MechaGiraffeZilla  :o :o :o
so, if you're on top deck & you hook something big...
wouldn't the fish have enough leverage to tip the thing over?

SoCalAngler

I know it's not a golf cart but I'm pretty sure you could do the same. 1 milk crate, 4 pvc tubes, one tire wrapped on each corner, then secure the crate to the cart in which ever way works for you so it dose not bounce out or tip over.

PacRat

Are these intended to be used for fishing or just for transporting rods? Can you show us a photo of your cart?

jgp12000

2 for transport on back,2 for fishing live bait on front so I can watch them.I would like to use existing hardware if possible and not drill any new holes.(You can faintly see that badboy 220 in there ready for action)...

Forward: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08FYHG35D/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Aft: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08B5X7RPZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

oldmanjoe

:D    Than you want some thing like a shed to shore rig  .

Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

oldmanjoe

Quote from: philaroman on September 10, 2021, 03:41:29 PM
:o :o :o  MechaGiraffeZilla  :o :o :o
so, if you're on top deck & you hook something big...
wouldn't the fish have enough leverage to tip the thing over?
[/quote
      ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? :o :o :o :o :o :o ??? ??? ??? ???
    That thing on the lower deck is not a barber chair ,it is a fishing fighting chair

philaroman

Quote from: oldmanjoe on September 10, 2021, 09:37:34 PM

??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? :o :o :o :o :o :o ??? ??? ??? ???
   That thing on the lower deck is not a barber chair ,it is a fishing fighting chair

ahhhhh...  now, I get it: you put the fat friend there,
for anchor-weight & skeeter bait/diversion  :o  then, fish up top  ;D

PacRat

I don't know what your new rod holders look like but this is what I would do.

Front: Mount the holders to the diagonal part of your windshield frame near the bottom. This will give you a nice forward cant. It looks like there are two existing bolts about 9" apart. If your holders were just pieces of PVC you could drill your through-holes to fit the bolts, then open up the outside holes enouch to let the bolt heads pass through.

Back: You don't want to drill so just sandwich the grab bar with aluminum angles or even plywood, then attach the rod holders to that. Just watch out for sharp edges that could injure people riding in the back. There are dozens of ways you can design this.

foakes

This reminds me of a true story a good friend told me years ago —

My friend had cousins back in South Carolina — he went back for a visit,  they took him night fishing for catfish.

He was riding in the middle of the bench seat of the old pickup.

The cousins had backed up slowly to the waters edge — then gingerly used a milk crate to step on when getting out of the truck — then right into the bed of the truck where they had lawn chairs, beer, and rod holders.

The two cousins nicknamed my friend "Hollywood" — because he was from California.

My friend thought it was strange that the cousins didn't want to step on the ground — he just figured that they did not want to get their boots muddy.  He just got out next to the truck and got ready to fish.

So everyone baits up and casts their line.

After a while, "Hollywood" asks the cousins why they were so careful about not getting their boots muddy.

They just replied — that it was safer to be in the truck bed than on the ground where the Cottonmouths and Water Moccasins were.

Hollywood said you never saw a guy hop into the back of a truck bed any quicker than him...

True story!

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

PacRat

After seeing what you ordered; this is what I would do.

Front: Mount aluminum angle to the diagonal part of your windshield frame near the bottom. This will give you a nice forward cant. It looks like there are two existing bolts about 9" apart. Measure those center-to-center and drill holes to fit on one leg of the aluminum angle. Then on the other leg of the angle  drill holes to fit the center-to-center of the rod holders. You can likely do this with existing hardware and the only purchase required would be a couple feet of 1/8" x 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" aluminum angle.

Back: Hopefully the 5" horizontal center-to-center of the double rod holder fits between the vertical uprights of your grab-bar. You won't have to drill this, just sandwich the grab bar with horizontal aluminum angles or even wood. First make two pieces that are just wider than the outside dimension of the vertical uprights of the grab-bar and drill them at 5" C-C. Make two of these horizontal 'clamp' pieces then attach the rod holders with those sandwiching the grab-bar. The screws that come with these look about 2" long so you probably won't need to purchase screws. Your grab-bar has a horizontal cross-bar so put one clamp bracket above the cross-bar and one below the cross-bar. This way if it were to vibrate loose; it would rest on the cross-bar until you tighten it again. Just round off any sharp edges that could injure people riding in the back.

jgp12000

I have plenty of aluminum angle,good idea!