Found at the Bottom of some Old Cardboard Boxes

Started by foakes, September 16, 2021, 09:15:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Last weekend, I was doing the finishing up of organizing a lot of reels and parts.

I was pulling out all of the Mitchell's, DQ's, Penn's.  These were just mixed in with them in the old storage bins.

Found a few reels either I did not know I had — or had forgotten for about 25 years.

Some big spinners — Centaures, Luxors, Shakes, and Pfleuger's.

Some more modern spinners — Shimanos, Daiwas, a little Sigma 025, (4) Gold Daiwa Mini-Mites, and a couple of Daiwa 500C's.

A few older Hendryx, and a few old raised pillar baitcasters with no names.  These make nice lamp bases because they are old.  Some old fly reels.

A bunch of other stuff.

Nice to scrape out a few old friends to sell or make into lamps from the bottoms of old boxes and bins.

I'll get rid of the newer reels — and keep the older ones for eventual lamps and bookends.

Best, Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

gstours

Thanks for sharing your pictures,  one of my favorite reels for average salmon is an old knuckle buster from the forty's.   With spectra and carbon fiber drag it's a good marriage.

Midway Tommy

Interesting, Fred.  :) I see a South Bend punch button, a couple of Ofmer Eagle Claws & a gaggle of ABUMatics. There's some nice usable reels in that group.  ;)
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Benni3

I really like this thread,,,,,,, :o the good stuff is always on the bottom,,,,,,, ;) like those mysterie boxes of bolts,,,, :-\ how did this get in here,,,,,,,,,, ;D

Crow

I see one of those older, Zebco "trigger spin" reels....I wore out a couple of those. They were one of my favorites for fishing in the creeks.Don't need long casts, and never seemed to get too "tangled up".
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

oldmanjoe

:D  I like the idea of the lamp reel  , But at this point i think we need a reel tree design .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

foakes

What does a Reel Tree design look like, Joe?

A good friend of mine who had an independent Sporting Goods Store for over 40 years (he passed on 12 years ago) had an artificial Christmas Tree in his shop.

It was loaded with lures.  Anyone could take a lure for themselves — and just leave another lure in its place.

Folks loved it.  And Gary got so much fun out of that old "Bait Tree" — for years and years.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

oldmanjoe

;D   I am still looking for that piece of wood that says , i want to be a reel tree  .    I am still trying to figure out how to mount them , so as i can still use the reels when needed and still look natural .    I don`t want to see hard ware .
       Very much like the Christmas tree but year round  and wife approved .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

foakes

Knowing your cleverness, Joe —

You will come up with something really good!

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

PacRat

I like that 'bait-tree' concept. When I was a bachelor and living on my own that's how I decorated my Christmas tree. I would just break out the tackle box.

steelfish

The Baja Guy

tincanary

Oh man, are those Daiwa Mini Mites I see in there?  Such lovely reels.  I've been looking for one myself.